Photo

Plugins for other email clients

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
114 replies to this topic

#1 markathcca

markathcca
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:52 AM

Is there any chance that plugins could be developed for mail clients other than Outlook? We're specifically interested in a plugin for http://www.cyrusoft.com/mulberry, but I'm sure others would be welcome, especially in environments like academia and ISP usage where configurations can't be mandated and enforced.-Mark

#2 chobbs

chobbs
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 10:37 AM

Other plugins are planned, and will be prioritized for development based on customer demand.Yes, the mark.cgi script is how the classification occurs. That API is not planned to be documented for the general public. If you wish to develop a plugin please contact support.- Chris

#3 mcowger

mcowger
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 03:39 PM

Other plugins are planned, and will be prioritized for development based on customer demand.Yes, the mark.cgi script is how the classification occurs. That API is not planned to be documented for the general public. If you wish to develop a plugin please contact support.- Chris

I have about 3000 users, 90% of which use thunderbird. Does that count as 3000 customer demands, or only 1 because I have 1 Barracuda ? :).

#4 chobbs

chobbs
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 07:26 PM

Depends on if we are considering your view or ours. :)I haven't had a chance to look at mozilla based stuff much (although I am typing this on firefox) ... do you know if they all use the same plugin architecture?- Chris

#5 mcowger

mcowger
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:40 PM

Well, i'm the customer, so I'm always right! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: As to APIs for thunderbird & mozilla, Its pretty similar, though not identical. The chrome would require a little bit of porting, but my guess is that the differences would be minor. Its too bad that for a company whose product is entirely based on open source technology, Barracuda doesn't feel the need to allow other coders to interface effectivly with their product by publishing an API for this.We all know that there just isn't the business case for you guys to support plugins for some of the smaller clients out there like Mulberry or Pine or Emacs, but publishing an API while still prooducing the native plugins for the larger clients would enable your customers to build whatever we needed.

#6 Jerry

Jerry
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 02:25 PM

Count this as a request for an Outlook Express plugin, that's what a large portion of our customers use.Speaking of the API script, it would be nice to be able to put a textbox somewhere on our website where a user could copy & paste the headers and message content, then submit it to the Barracuda from there, sort of like the reporting feature at spamcop.net.For that matter, how about the ability to have the Barracuda submit spams to spamcop?

#7 chobbs

chobbs
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:35 PM

mcowger ... if you want to develop a plugin contact support, you can get the the documentation for what you want. I am not about to get into a philisophical debate on the merits of publishing that material to all- Chris

#8 Jerry

Jerry
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:42 PM

I am not about to get into a philisophical debate on the merits of publishing that material to all.- Chris

Well I for one can see the danger, if that API made it into public domain, spammers would find a way to use it to whitelist themselves or at least corrupt the validity of the "spam/not spam" data. You probably need to require signing of a nondisclosure agreement before letting it out to anybody.

#9 MichiganRon

MichiganRon
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:29 AM

Consider this an official request for a GroupWise (6.5) plugin. It would be VERY helpful for our organization. In fact, I may call Barracuda and inquire about writing it; that is, unless they've already started writing one or have plans to do so soon.

#10 webcie

webcie
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 05:12 AM

A plugin for outlook express would be very usefull as well as a plugin for Mac OSX.Jef

#11 mrbass

mrbass
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 03:40 PM

Half our users our using Mozilla...the other half Outlook Express.

#12 cmittech

cmittech
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 04:19 PM

would like to see support for: Outlook Express (Windows) Apple Mail (Mac OS X) Thunderbird (Windows/Mac OS X)Thanks

#13 Ryan Hanson

Ryan Hanson
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 04:00 PM

I too would like to see plugins for:Outlook ExpressMac OSXThunderbirdAs well as some HTML script that could be inserted on the bottom of each email allowing a user using any client to click on the link and have it feed the database...

#14 dan

dan
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:06 PM

and Lotus Domino?

#15 pjc

pjc
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:30 PM

Perhaps a Poll would assist you to tally our requests.Our request is for a plug-in for OS X's Mail.app

#16 mpoweleit

mpoweleit
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 03:58 PM

I vote for Lotus Notes.

#17 noackje

noackje
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:42 AM

I would like to vote for Outlook Express and Thunderbird both are used by a large majority of my customers.

#18 Lisa Baas

Lisa Baas
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:03 PM

Lotus Notes, please :D

#19 MichiganRon

MichiganRon
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:54 AM

GroupWise GroupWise GroupWise(Please Please Please) :D