Dont want to run Cuda Client, but want to log/Virus Check

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 clinton.elston

clinton.elston
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:16 AM

HiMy customer wants to carry on using MSN messenger, he doesnt want to install and deploy the Cuda client.Q1 - Can he still, log all IM traffic conversations :?: Q2 - Still block attachments if they are virus infected :?: A Barracuda agent tells me NO, but didnt seem to know much about the product :( ThanksClinton

#2 pejacoby

pejacoby
  • Members
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

I think you have to install the IM box in-line to be able to manage attachments using the 3rd party client apps. There is some info in the Admin Guide on this.The main issue with logging most of the protocols other than Yahoo is that the IM box sniffer can't read their encrypted traffic. My experience (running in Spanned mode, not inline) is that I can only see Yahoo traffic and a minuscule amount of AIM traffic from older clients.

#3 clinton.elston

clinton.elston
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

Thanks, yes we plan to run Inline mode, the box is being installed tomorrow, I will update you all then with my results.

#4 nwhsupport

nwhsupport
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

You can log 3rd party IM conversations as long as the traffic is not encrypted. The IMF cannot log or scan file transfers between two public IM clients. There is an option to block transfers.The ability to do file transfers between a Barracuda client across a transport is in development now. When this function is released you will be able to scan and log file transfers made in this manner. The user will have to be using the Barracuda client.