Photo

Trialing YSB 8.8.03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 RCB2000

RCB2000
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:59 AM

Hello, newbie so be gentle.As a test I am backing up a test Fedora server to a DAT72 tape via a test Windows 7 master server by the means of a HP USB Tape drive. I have managed to create a bootable cd image of the Fedora server & made a full backup straight to the DAT72 tape all via the master server.I then replaced the hard drive, loaded the cd image & tape drive to the Fedora Server & it pulls all the data off the tape & the restore is complete, great.Apart from I can no longer login to the restored Fedora server with the password I had setup for my username.When I did the backup should the passwords be brought across? Is it some basic setting I am missing here because I am using a linux client & a Windows master server?

#2 Ben Kloos

Ben Kloos
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

Just to be clear, the tape device was never moved correct? It was directly connected to the linux machine during backup and recovery right?In any case, your [I assume root] password to get back in to the box after recovery certainly should be the same, there should be no trick about it. The system should come back exactly as it was before. Since I've never heard about a linux DR not allowing you to log back in I'd suggest trying another backup / recovery just to be sure. May or may not be related but your version of lunux is not currently supported although I'd think it would be close enough to RHEL to work.http://www.barracudaware.com/support/os/server-backup/8.8

#3 RCB2000

RCB2000
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

Hello bkloosNo the USB tape device was connected to the Windows Master server when I performed the full backup of the Linux client over the Network. I then plugged the tape device back into the Linux client & made a bootable CD of the linux client via the master server so it would image the correct drivers to the disc. I then inserted the bootable CD into the linux client with the tape device still plugged in & went through the restore process.Did I do something wrong :(

#4 Ben Kloos

Ben Kloos
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

I'm actually surprised you got as far as you did. DR backups have to be done with the device directly attached to the machine you are recovering. I recommend recreating your DR CD and Backup with the tape device directly attached to the linux machine. Please post your results.

#5 RCB2000

RCB2000
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:55 AM

Ok, this time I plugged the tape device directly into the linux machine. I also opened up the YSB admin client on the linux client machine instead of using the admin on the master server. I completed the full backup to tape with the results of 2 errors 96bytes. (98705 objects 2.10gb backed to tape)I did notice that while the backup was running a large amount of traffic (lights flashing on ethernet switch) to the master server even though the tape device was attached to the linux client.I made the bootable disc of the linux client via the master server as the linux machine did not have it's own cd burner.Anyway went through the DR process as before with the same results as before, cannot login even though my username is there. After fedora 10 you cannot login as root, you have to create a user as part of the install process & use the user password.I could try the same with ubuntu but that won't help really as we have 4 servers running fedora 4. The test linux machine was running the latest fedora which is version 13.May try loading fedora 4 onto the test machine.

#6 RCB2000

RCB2000
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:56 AM

Ok here all the latest results:If I create a bootable cd of the fedora 4 machine via the master server, it will not even boot from that disc correctly. Some kind of kernel error of some sort comes up, won't even load the DR menu. I had no problem when carrying out the same with fedora 13, it booted to the disc ok. I was able to a full backup to tape with fedora 4 running the YSB client but it's no good if I can't use the boot disc. It is also a shame that my HP C7438 USB Drive does not support OBDR. If it did I would not have to rely on the boot cd.If a Full BMR is not possible with the equipment I have in a Fedora 4 environment then so be it. I could still do a poor mans restore by reinstalling the linux OS then the YSB client and do a restore from Virtual Tape over the network Via the master server.

#7 Ben Kloos

Ben Kloos
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

Correct about doing a poor man's restore and also the reason you saw network traffic even when the device was attached local to the backup machine is that every time a object is backed up the database is made aware of it so that if a backup is stopped mid way the database knows what did complete. The packets are small but frequent.

#8 RCB2000

RCB2000
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

Hello all.I have now moved onto my friend Netware 6.5 & have installed the YSB Client. I can see the YSB client from the Master server.I have attatched 2 devices to the Netware Server, the HP USB C7438A DAT tape drive & 320gb usb external hard drive as a possible backup media.From the master server if I select the Netware server (test) & go to devices there are no devices detected & I have tried rescan. Should I see these devices? I could see them in the Windows & Linux tests. I have even tried mounting the external hard drive within Netware but still it cannot be seen as a backup media from the master server.What type of backup devices are supported in the Netware YSB client?

#9 Ben Kloos

Ben Kloos
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

Unfortunately USB devices are not supported on Netware with our product. we talk to devices using nwaspi for what its worth which allows us to communicate with SCSI, SAS, IDE and other such traditional buses.

#10 RCB2000

RCB2000
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

Well that's cleared that one up! So my results of performing BMR with YSB are:Windows: Stick in a USB stick in the server, perform a full backup & create a bootable cd. When needed load them both up, perform a DR restore simple!Linux: Neither Ubuntu or Fedora worked correctly from the backup media I had at my disposal. That being USB DAT Drive, 8gb memory stick & 320gb USB external driveNetware: USB devices not supported.So if you want to do some BMR proof of concept work before you purchase the product make sure you have at least a SCSI tape drive at hand!! The way forward has to be BMR from a bootable CD over the Network via the Master server from Virtual tape, that would be nice. :lol:Now to test poor mans restore with all 3 OS's

#11 Ben Kloos

Ben Kloos
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

BTW network DR is in the works. Don't have an ETA for even an alpha version, I haven't seen it yet.What problem did you have with Ubuntu? Same as Fedora where you could not login?

#12 RCB2000

RCB2000
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

Well with Ubuntu Desktop I followed the exact procedure as Fedora but upon the reboot after the DR restore it would not even load the OS. It complained out something misssing but I cannot remember the exect details.I feel a bit more testing is required with other devices other than the standard scsi tape drives so a list of compatible BMR restore media with all 3 OS's can be published?Yes/No ?

#13 Ben Kloos

Ben Kloos
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

I agree that more testing is required, you should not have issues with recent releases of Ububtu

#14 RCB2000

RCB2000
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

Yes I was surprised with the results with Ubuntu bit I did not post the exact errors due to our main servers running Fedora & not Ubuntu. I thought if I got positive results with Ubuntu I might persuade my manager to switch from Fedora to Ubuntu long term. We still may purchase the product even though the BMR tests with our kit have not been very succesfull due to the other restore features it can still offer.Thanks for all your help so far bkloos !! :wink: