Photo

BASIC YSB Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 RCB2000

RCB2000
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

HelloI have set up as a test a few Virtual Machines on my master server. I will run the YSB client's on both the Physical servers & Virtual Servers. Is it possible to backup files from the PM via Virtual Tape on the master server & Restore then to a VM ?? What is the procedure my good friends ??As part of my DR plan I am testing the possibility of using a Virtual Server as a backup so users would log onto this while the Physical Server is being fixed & keeping it up to date via YSB.from the last backup.

#2 Ben Kloos

Ben Kloos
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

If you have YSB installed on the PM and VM then you should be able to select specific things for restore from the PM and redirect them to the VM. Note that you can not move system state objects like IIS, registry, active directory etc... only file system objects and some databases like SQL. To redirect an object you are restoring select it then right click the object and choose move. You can then tell the restore job where you want to restore the object to.

#3 RCB2000

RCB2000
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

Well to be more precise what I am doing is trying to create is a virtual Netware 6.5 machine with an identical server name/Context/Tree to the physical one BUT in a different subnet as not to cause world war III.I want to backup the NDS from the PM & some data & restore/move it to the VM. Getting the NDS across is the most important part.If the PM goes down I will change the subnet of the VM to the same as the PM & users will hopefully be able to login.Can I do this in YSB.

#4 Ben Kloos

Ben Kloos
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

If the server name is the same then YSB will not think that a move is occurring and in that sense it will work. The case where it would not work is if they both were up and running in the same backup domain with different names, in that case you could not redirect NDS to the other machine.