Barracuda spyware firewall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 marco

marco
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:16 AM

I don't know where else to ask so I'll ask my questions here.I just read that Barracudanetworks started producing the Spyware Firewall and it sounds like a nice appliance which would be a nice extension in our network. So I have two basic questions:- Is 100 MBit throughput expected anywhere soon?- Is this a layer 2 or layer 3 device. e.g. is the Spyware firewall set up as a gateway with its own gateway IP or is it transparently placed between the normal gateway (firewall) and the switches?

#2 Von Housen

Von Housen
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 03:15 AM

its transparent between firewall and local network. It will also act as a Cache Engine from what I understand.

#3 Rahul Narsimhan

Rahul Narsimhan
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:54 AM

In addition to what Von indicated the spyware appliance is like a network bridge (a layer 2 device). It blocks the offending connections inline. You do not have to make any configuration changes on your network with respect to changes in the IP' -- default gateway etc so the installation is simple. Depending on which devices the spyware will be placed between you might need either a straight-through or a crossover cable.The Barracuda Spyware does have an IP address but it is to manage the appliance and for sending alerts.Spyware 810 is supposed to handle about 200Mbps of throughput but your choke point might be the upstream internet connection. I hope this helps. To check the live demo go to http://www.securicore.ca/spyware/

#4 ahodgson

ahodgson
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:06 AM

Hi,Can this also act as a traditional IP based proxy server also?Thanks.Andrew.