iPad support for SSL VPN

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Harrell

Matthew Harrell
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:19 AM

I have quite a few users wanting a remote access solution for their iPads. We don't allow remote connections to our network that are outside of our control, so it must go through our Barracuda SSL VPN. Since Apple did not provide support for Java and Flash, they're out of luck. Any chance of a Remote Desktop Client that works with HTML5 on iPad?

#2 Kaivan Jesung

Kaivan Jesung

BVS

• Product Managers
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

I have quite a few users wanting a remote access solution for their iPads. We don't allow remote connections to our network that are outside of our control, so it must go through our Barracuda SSL VPN. Since Apple did not provide support for Java and Flash, they're out of luck. Any chance of a Remote Desktop Client that works with HTML5 on iPad?

Version 2.1 of the Barracuda SSL VPN will contain support for iPad via IPsec and PPTP. Once configured, you can use an RDP app to connect via SSL to your resource.

#3 Chris Dakin

Chris Dakin
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

Firmware 2.1 is now available, so you should be able to use PPTP or IPSec to connect your iPad and once connected just use one of the normal RDP apps available from the app store.

#4 John Hirai

John Hirai
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:13 AM

Even better, please visit the Online Knowledge base and look up the following solutions of 5513 and 5487.

Link to our support page: http://www.barracuda...utions.php#form

#5 Matthew Harrell

Matthew Harrell
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

Thank you for the updates. I'm not sure this will work for us, since our SSL VPN sites behind a firewall that is also our IPSec gateway. I haven't wanted to deal with the headaches of trying to set up IPSec VPNs to roaming clients like these. I was hoping for SSL VPN access, but I will look into this option.

#6 Samy Bou Ghanem

Samy Bou Ghanem
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:56 AM

if you are using Firmware 2.1, you should be able to use PPTP or IPSec to connect your iPad or iPhone. you can use any RDP app from apple store; I have tried it and it works. there is an app called RDP. it's free; you just neet to set up IPSec to connect your iPad or iPhone.

#7 Gavin Chappell

Gavin Chappell
  • Moderators
  • 441 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

I can see this is an old thread, however things have moved on slightly so I think it's worth bringing a bit up to date. We now have a new mobile-friendly user interface for the SSL VPN (in firmware version 2.5) including automatic IPsec provisioning for iOS devices. Unfortunately we don't currently have any HTML RDP apps built-in (although these are coming ASAP!) but I've evaluated a third-party HTML5 solution called ThinRDP which works quite nicely with my Android devices (Nexus 4 and Nexus 7). The phone screen is a little cramped (as is the tablet screen, realistically) but it's usable if you have a particular need for it.

#8 Chris Dakin

Chris Dakin
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

Adding to Gavin's comments above, we are looking to implement HTML5 application support in an upcoming firmware release, dependent on the results of performance tests etc.

Chris.

#9 Bryan Dearlove

Bryan Dearlove
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:08 AM

Sorry, mis-post. 

#10 Gavin Chappell

Gavin Chappell
  • Moderators
  • 441 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:11 AM

Unfortunately we haven't yet been able to find an HTML5 application which runs acceptably on our SSL VPN platform. However, our product manager has found himself using a native iPad RDP application and an IPsec tunnel which requires a little bit more initial setup but means that you have a larger choice of apps, and better integration with the native OS on your tablet than you ever could from an HTML5 web application. So this would be the currently recommended way of using RDP and we'll keep looking into HTML5 solutions!