Anti-spyware box

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 DesertStormVet

DesertStormVet
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:11 PM

OK, what is the deal with the anti-spyware box? Anybody tried this yet? Any word? Looks like it does general website filtering as well.Looks like it tells me the infected clients, but I still need something to install to clean them (Spybot, Adaware, etc.). :cry: Any news? I need anti-spyware really bad :evil: , so I need to know if this guy is going to do the trick. Thanks.

#2 Mark Shapiro

Mark Shapiro
  • Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:06 PM

OK, what is the deal with the anti-spyware box? Anybody tried this yet? Any word? Looks like it does general website filtering as well.Looks like it tells me the infected clients, but I still need something to install to clean them (Spybot, Adaware, etc.). :cry: Any news? I need anti-spyware really bad :evil: , so I need to know if this guy is going to do the trick. Thanks.

Windows is so fragile, that dual layer protection is good. I used to have Webroot spysweeper running, but found it was in my face all the time, and PC-Cilling now has spyware killing too, as does Microsoft for free for now. What I learned is 1) The PC is so fragile (windows) that no matter how much software you buy and how many services you turn off, it's always full of bad stuff. If you make your PC safe, you won't have any fun with it.2) No anti-virus software program or spyware program can do it all.I've used Sophos, great at finding but no good at updating or fixing. Norton, in your face, pain in the butt, Mcaffee - update hell, AVG - you have to update it yourself, and PC-cillin, my current favorite, but last friday between the every 3-hour updates, a bunch of PCs (mine too) got hit. Even though I have a Cuda in front of the PCs, many viruses go over UDP or other ways, not via email these days. 3) the more anti-hack, anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-cookie software you install, the more trouble you have recovering windows on a failure. I have an XP SP2 full install disk, it would not install as I had too may anti-virus and anti-spyware programs installed - that's what Microsoft told me!

#3 mpoweleit

mpoweleit
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:28 AM

If it can do websense type blocking as well as spyware and antivrus/antispam, it would be a box worth looking at. Wonder if they will offer a trade in of our current Barracuda? :wink:

#4 DesertStormVet

DesertStormVet
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:37 AM

Mark,I agree with you on the defense-in-depth strategy. I am one of the biggest proponents of this, and have always taught that to users and customers. I have several layers of defense from the outside in.However, I need to know specifics about the anti-spyware tool Barracuda is offering. :?: :?: :?: I see that it is out there, but I know of no one who is using it. I know it is new, but I see no forum discussion about it. Therefore, I get the feeling that no one here has put this in place. :? I love the idea that it can do Websense-style filtering since Websense is so blamed expensive and has not been doing a great job of late with its categorizing of websites. But is Barracuda so new to this area that they are going to make even more mistakes? :? Also, does the 'cuda have good reporting capabilities? I know it has some, but how effective is it? :? Really, I guess I am looking for comments from Barracuda on the effectiveness of this product and from some people who have actually put it in place. I am inquiring with my VAR on getting a demo in to test, but I would like to get some feedback prior to that. :| Regards...

#5 Randall Jones

Randall Jones
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:04 PM

We're already site licensed for McAfee AntiVirus and use their ePO management tool, so since they just released their AntiSpyware bolt-on we're considering that. Easy implementation. So far we're not looking at an appliance.

#6 DesertStormVet

DesertStormVet
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:36 PM

I received word from my VAR that the box was still in beta and will be available by June 1. The eval box request form has the spyware box as a choice. I filled that out, but I have not received any word back.Can someone from Barracuda please confirm the word from my VAR?

#7 DesertStormVet

DesertStormVet
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:41 PM

We use Symantec now, and they are about to offer a spyware solution as well. But this new anti-spyware box is more than that. It also does URL filtering and virus-checking (I was going to buy deep inspection from my firewall manufacturer, but I am not so sure now).Symantec will probably still be used at the desktop level, but if this box can stop it before it ever gets there, then why not? :)

#8 DesertStormVet

DesertStormVet
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:20 PM

Well, reading :oops: answered some questions:Pricing and Availability The Barracuda Spyware Firewall 210, 310 and 410 models will begin shipping in the U.S. on June 1. U.S. prices range from $1,999 to $5,999 with no per user license fees.Blue Coat looks like they have one coming out like this as well. But their box will be licensed by the user.

#9 Rahul Narsimhan

Rahul Narsimhan
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:40 AM

To check the interface of the Spyware demo servergo here http://www.securicore.ca/spyware

#10 itsma@broin.com

itsma@broin.com
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:58 PM

we just ordered a 310 today for demo. we also have symantec but thought this might be a great first step.