Photo

Who's Who Messages

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 MatthewW

MatthewW
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

Are you getting bombarded with Who's Who messages like we are? Have you come up with a way to block them? They come from different domains but they are obviously all from the same source when you look at the content. Sometimes the Barracuda blocks them based on the sending IP but more often then not they are able to send from un-blocked IP addresses. They keep modifying the wording in different ways. Any ideas? Thanks!

#2 FNBAiss

FNBAiss
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:33 PM

I use a combination of the Header, Subject line, and body filters. It's been effective in stopping all of those types of spam.

#3 Kevin Goebel

Kevin Goebel
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

My latest addition to body filters stopped a bunch of recent spams: (global directory of who's who)|(national alliance of male executives) I add a lot of custom body, subject and header filters. I periodically make a list of them and check to see if they are still catching spam, keeping the ones that still do and removing those that don't. Kevin

#4 MatthewW

MatthewW
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:16 AM

Thanks, my latest attempt to block them is based on the physical address in the body but that changes too. I hate to block based on the words "Who's Who" because this could possibly be used in legitimate e-mail.

#5 Kevin Goebel

Kevin Goebel
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

I wouldn't wonder about the definitive (the legitimate Who's Who is still in business: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquis_Who%27s_Who ) Who's Who showing up in e-mail. I recall seeing the real Who's Who in America book back in the 70's, at the local public library in the reference section. It was a high quality hardcover volume and very useful in pre-Internet days, at least for high school students needing material for homework papers. I also remember my boss at a local office supply store in town receiving snail-spam from companies inviting him to join the "prestigeous State Who's Who" and "Retailer's Who's Who" junk postal mail. "Of course, sir, you will certainly want to buy a copy for yourself - a bargain at only $65". Kevin Goebel