Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall Firmware Release 5.1

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Leena Merciline

Leena Merciline
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

The Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall firmware release 5.1 has started General Availability roll out.
For what's new in release 5.1, please see the release notes at:
http://updates.cudasvc.com/cgi-bin/view_release_notes.cgi?type=firmware&version=5.1.0.012.

#2 Nicholas Tenbarge

Nicholas Tenbarge
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

Our appliance still list 5.1.0.012 as an Early Release. Will it switch soon to GA?

#3 Nicholas Tenbarge

Nicholas Tenbarge
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

We installed 5.1.0.012 and it seems to be working great. No issues to report yet.

#4 Brad Bilut

Brad Bilut
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationElgin, Illinois

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

Our appliance still list 5.1.0.012 as an Early Release. Will it switch soon to GA?

Same here. Can somebody explain if we're supposed to be seeing this as "General" release?

#5 Aseem Asthana

Aseem Asthana

BSF / BMA / BESS

• Product Managers
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

Hello everyone

We roll out the release incrementally. As of this Friday (Nov 11), 50% of customers have access to firmware release 5.1. We expect all users to have access in another two weeks.

#6 Bent Christensen

Bent Christensen
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:04 AM

It has arrived here - but the release note still says Beta: "Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall Release Notes - Version 5.1.0 (Beta)"

#7 Leena Merciline

Leena Merciline
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for noting this. We'll get it changed back to the GA version.

#8 Rainer Wölfinger

Rainer Wölfinger
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:53 AM

After Upgrading, i missing some Options in the Message Log.

For all Filter Options is only the Option "is equal to" avaible.

#9 Rainer Wölfinger

Rainer Wölfinger
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:57 AM

Ok i have Found the Problem

#10 Vincent Maier

Vincent Maier
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

Release 5.1 version is very slow. It often makes the system unresponsive.

#11 Ryan Coultas

Ryan Coultas
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

Release 5.1 version is very slow. It often makes the system unresponsive.

I am also seeing this problem. Ever since the update we are seeing longer delays and have a tough time getting logged in during business hours. The release notes state"Barracuda Networks does not recommend reverting to an older firmware version after upgrading to version 5.1." Does anyone have any experience with reverting? Will it break?

#12 Toby Simmons

Toby Simmons
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

I am unable to load the release notes, it says connection refused.

#13 hatari

hatari
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

Release 5 made my barracuda so slow that it is unmanageable.

I wish I had never upgraded. I might try and revert.

#14 Byron Weiss

Byron Weiss
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

Same experience here. System load spikes when I login making it difficult to manage at all.

#15 Rick

Rick
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

I Installed Version 5.1.0.013 and it slowed my 300 unit to a crawl. I had to revert back to the previous version.

#16 Fazzina, Angelo

Fazzina, Angelo
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCT USA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Iinstalled 5.1.0.013 (2011-12-12)
this week on our 3 clustered 800's
so far so good.... 8-)

-ALF out..
University of Connecticut
Unix/Linux System Administrator
3 Clustered Model 800 Spam Firewalls

#17 NCCUIT

NCCUIT
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

We are very disappointed with v5. Our BSF 300 is virtually useless on version 5. Version 4 was doggy, but not nearly this bad. Can I safely revert to 4.x?

On version 5.x, it takes several minutes to do anything and the browser times out more often than not. I have found using FIrefox v10 to be better than IE8. I can not access the Manage Domains option at all, after a while I will get a jumbled header of some of the tabs that normally appear, but if you click on any of them, they do not take you to the page they should. In that case, I have to close my tab and re-logon.

Latency and load bounce all over the map. Delivery of mail is slowed by several minutes from version 4 and latency has been upwards of 25 minutes. In version 3, latency rarely exceeded a 2 minutes. In version 5 I am rarely seeing latency below 5 minutes and 10-15 minutes is pretty common.

We wanted to use the new features of version 5 and configure our 300 as an outbound sender (forwarding outbound messages from our Exchange 2007 server). I can get the barracuda to do this, but simple messages (short html, no attachements) take 5 minutes to deliver to the external destination (gmail). A message with a 3MB exe file attached took 48 minutes to deliver. My Exchange server will deliver either message in less than a minute.

Update: Since our BSF 300 was purchased in 2004, we are taking advantage of the Hardware Refresh program and getting a new unit. Hopefully this will make the 5.1 firmware a viable solution for us.

Edited by NCCUIT, 22 February 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#18 Fazzina, Angelo

Fazzina, Angelo
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCT USA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

just an update.... i had to disconnect from the control center cuz the system load was a little high and response went down.
Also the new rate control module needed a patch as it was reporting too high and repeatedly counting messages.

i suspect my hardware is just too old to handle all the extra stuff V5 does and features.....My HW is 6 years old.

the plan is to get new hardware to see if V5 runs even better...
-ALF out...
University of Connecticut
Unix/Linux System Administrator
3 Clustered Model 800 Spam Firewalls

#19 David Waller

David Waller
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

After upgrading to 5.1.1.004 from version 5.1.0.013 my Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall stopped allowing outbound email. The message I was getting is as follows:

An error occurred while trying to deliver this message to the recipient's e-mail address. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

The following organization rejected your message: "spam filter host name here"

Our Exchange server (Exchange 2007) relays all email to the barracuda and the Barracuda sends the email outbound (we use the outbound spam filtering and encrypted email features). I poked around in the settings and didn't see anything obvious so I reverted back to the older firmware (5.1.0.013) and everything started to work fine again.

#20 David Waller

David Waller
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

I forgot to include the error message from the Barracuda
Reason: Invalid domain
Action: Blocked

I get that error message to all outside email (Google, Yahoo and our customers/vendors) when using the 5.1.1.004 firmware.