Photo

Barracuda 200 Blocking all email

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 George Edwards

George Edwards
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

We have a Barracuda 200, the energize subscription ran out near the end of December. We didn't have the money to renew it at the time so we had to wait.

I come in to work this morning to find that the firewall has been blocking almost all emails as spam. Emails that just 2 days ago were scored a 0 or 0.1 are now a 3.3-5.

Even the email from Barracuda it's self to setup this account was scored a 3.3.

Any idea why this is happening? I assumed it maybe the energize updates and we have purchased them. Just waiting for the payment to go through and it to update.

#2 Jason Crane

Jason Crane
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

I have the same exact problem....any fix we can do without renewing the energize subscription?

#3 Justin

Justin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

Wonderful Barracuda! I have 2 - yes 2 Spam Firewall 300's that this started happening to Jan 1, 2012. Both are expired for energize updates. I have had this happen before. I have had both firewalls for about the past 5-6 years. This has happened a few times over the years and miraculously Barracuda has no explanation for this. I had read a review many years ago prior to purchasing these units by a large magazine that had reviewed this product. Anyway, the review went on to explain how they had proof that Barracuda had connected to the unit and made some changes while they were testing it to better it's results. I decided to purchase these anyway - and overall I have been very satisfied. Now, unfortunately, I have about 100 pissed off customers that I have to go through and manually sort their emails to determine what is spam and what is not - what was supposed to be delivered, and what wasn't.

That is not a big deal, but my firewalls filter around 200,000 messages daily combined. Everything was working perfectly fine, up until 1/1. I am the ONLY person with access to these firewalls, so I know there were no settings changed.

I am not a happy customer right now - especially a LONG TIME established customer. If this is indeed something that Barracuda is doing, I would very much question the legality of it. If not, I would LOVE to hear an explanation. I am fairly confident that someone WITH the energize updates is not having this problem. Likewise, there is nothing that says you MUST have the updates.

Would love to hear what others have been experiencing.
--Justin

#4 Louis Sabatini

Louis Sabatini
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

I had this same problem as well. I did some research and I believe the barracuda uses Spam Assassin in one of the layers of defense and there is a bug in that, that causes the same problem and error messages you will get in the blocked e-mail. We were going to renew to the hosted service soon but now we are doing it today; so that is my solution but I do agree they should patch the problem even if you don't have the Energizer updates.

#5 Justin

Justin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

I had this same problem as well. I did some research and I believe the barracuda uses Spam Assassin in one of the layers of defense and there is a bug in that, that causes the same problem and error messages you will get in the blocked e-mail. We were going to renew to the hosted service soon but now we are doing it today; so that is my solution but I do agree they should patch the problem even if you don't have the Energizer updates.

If that is the case, so be it. That still shows there is a BUG or a FLAW in their system - you should not have to PURCHASE updates to fix something that is a KNOWN PROBLEM. Otherwise, all their doing is padding their wallets - just like in your case. You didn't plan on purchasing other services - now you have to. I once again question the legality of this as well as how Barracuda handles situations like this.
--Justin

#6 Steele

Steele
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

Same thing happened to me on January 01. 2012. Barracuda Networks had to have logged in and bumped the scoring up by around 3 points give or take. What a bunch of f**king scumbags. They totally broke the law when they did this to people. My block score is set to 9 and it seems to be holding up for now.

#7 Eddy Jackson

Eddy Jackson
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

The same thing happened to our Barracuda 300. It looks like it has to do with the SpamAssassin FH_DATE_PAST_20XX rule that now adds 3.38 Spam Scoring points to every email, resulting in many legitimate emails being blocked..

I just tried calling Barracuda Support and spoke to "Samantha" and was told I was being transferred, the call rang and rang until it disconnected. This doesn't speak well of Barracuda.

#8 Michael Kjellman

Michael Kjellman
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:47 AM

Eddy, very sorry to hear of your experience with our support team. Please feel free to message me and I'd be more than happy to address your concerns offline. Thanks!

In terms of the FH_DATE_PAST_20XX you mention, this rule was updated and distributed through our Energize Updates on January 1st, 2012 and Energize Update subscribers would get these updated rules. Unfortunately, it looks like your subscriptions ran out either on the 1st or a few days before in December and this means you wouldn't get the updated rules (resulting in messages getting scores much higher than they should).

I'm very sorry this caused you and your organization issues and we would love to have you back as a customer when you are able to consider spending additional money on your spam fighting solution of choice!

#9 Steele

Steele
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

I still call bulls**t. Barracuda Networks is probably the worst company I have ever dealt with.

#10 Michael Kjellman

Michael Kjellman
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Steele, it was an honest and unfortunate bug and i'm very sorry to see it that it affected you.

#11 Eddy Jackson

Eddy Jackson
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Steele, it was an honest and unfortunate bug and i'm very sorry to see it that it affected you.

I think Steele's point is that "bugs" should be fixed for all customers, not just actively paying customers. Could you imagine Microsoft only releasing hotfixes and service packs to customers that pay for Software Assurance? No, they post them on their website for all to access. At the end of the day, your product is your reputation.

My company is actively looking for a new mail security appliance, but this experience has us looking at other products.

#12 Steele

Steele
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Rules/FH_DATE_PAST_20XX bulls**t. http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Rules/FH_DATE_PAST_20XX was a fix issued for spamassasin for Y2k. It has nothing to do with January 1st, 2012. Box was running fine 2010,2011, etc.

#13 Michael Kjellman

Michael Kjellman
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Rules/FH_DATE_PAST_20XX bulls**t. http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Rules/FH_DATE_PAST_20XX was a fix issued for spamassasin for Y2k. It has nothing to do with January 1st, 2012. Box was running fine 2010,2011, etc.

Stelle- this is incorrect and this is not how this rule works on a Barracuda Spam Firewall.

Eddy- As I said, please feel free to reach out to me and I will help work on this issue with you. I'd also be happy to go over the many ways we still provide support to our boxes in the field with expired subscriptions.

#14 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Forum Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

Please refer to the following Barracuda solution in regards to this issue, and please feel free to contact Technical Support directly if you have further questions:

http://www.barracuda...50160000000IfW2
Frank Avery
User Community Administrator
Barracuda Networks
favery@barracuda.com

#15 Edmund White

Edmund White
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

I'm not sure if this is a satisfactory resolution to the problem. This bug has been out there for years. Am I to believe that it was only recently patched for the Barracuda units?

#16 jd_in_sb

jd_in_sb
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

Please refer to the following Barracuda solution in regards to this issue, and please feel free to contact Technical Support directly if you have further questions:

http://www.barracuda...50160000000IfW2

That link just redirects to the support home page. Do you have a current link?

#17 fearlessleader

fearlessleader
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:05 PM

I know that this is an old topic, but... I've suddenly got this same problem.

We dropped energize updates on a 300 mid October 2014.

Suddenly this month (January 2015) I'm getting lots of email tagged as spam due to:

3.38 FH_DATE_PAST_20XX      The date is grossly in the future.

So, despite Michael (from Barracuda) saying that this was fixed three years ago, it's back.

How can I do ANYTHING to get the spamassasin bug fixed?

ANYTHING... short of signing up for energizer updates.

Thanks