Photo

Spam Firewall 400 Firmware Update > sluggggish

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 hatari

hatari
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

I just upgraded to 510013

My bsf400 is ~4 years old.

The WEB GUI is ridiculously slow. 45 seconds to login, 200+ seconds to click on any menu item.

The current mail delivery load of the box is ~7 mail messages processed per hour.

I contacted tech support and though the box was exhibiting raid issues, it finally recovered and tech support said the box was too old to handle the firmware.

I am looking for confirmation from anyone that it would be normal for any web gui click to take 200 seconds with a firmware upgrade - my box is basically unusable at this point and Barracuda wants to sell me a new one.

It just seems crazy that such sluggishness would result with no load. I still think there might be a hardware issue in order to be such ridiculous latency but support says no, i need to buy a new box.

comments?

#2 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hello and thank you for contacting Barracuda Networks technical forums.

While 4 years ago the boxes we shipped we're cutting edge for their time, since then we have expanded into dozens of new features and technologies that would only further add overhead to the boxes processing power. We do in fact have a program to work with customers on establishing a way to get them to a later hardware revision box, and this should have been explained by a customer services representative.

Please contact us again we may correctly provide some resolution possibilities for you.

Matthew Willson-Heller
Support Escalation Manager, US

Barracuda Networks Inc.
Phone: +1 408.342.5300 x5346
Fax: +1 408.342.1061
Web: www.barracudanetworks.com

#3 hatari

hatari
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

By 'establishing a way' you mean - pay money.

My issue with that is I don't really think that new firmwares should intentionally bog down a box so much that I need to buy a new one.

But my main question is that I'm wondering if that is really the issue. If a new firmware was to introduce latency, I would say 10 seconds or so would qualify. But 200 seconds to click on one menu item? That is more along the lines of something is wrong with my box - especially when there is no mail being delivered and cpu usage is around 10% the whole time.

Just looking for other people's feedback.

Thanks.

#4 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hi hatari,

While I certainly understand your idea on newer firmwares bogging down a box.. The easiest way I can explain it, unfortunetly is like owning a windows box.. you wouldn't attempt to put windows 7 on a box you had 5 years ago (without upgrades).. With new technology and features, comes greater overhead.

What firmware did you previously run? This may help in explaining why you see such a dramatic change.

Matthew Willson-Heller

Barracuda Networks Inc.

#5 Byron Weiss

Byron Weiss
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

My experience is nearly identical. The firmware should not have been released to older models if it is going to slow them down this much.

#6 hatari

hatari
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

@Byron - That is pretty much my thinking, and thanks for confirming the issue.

@BSF - you're right I wouldn't put windows 7 on a 5 year old box and I would know better. In this case I had no warning. Is reverting possible? I was plenty happy with 3.x Or if I wasn't going to void the warranty, I would just throw some more ram in there and see if that helps any.

#7 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

HI hatari, all

I agree on us dropping the ball without some sort of proactvie discussion/notification on it .. Moving past it, you can in fact revert.. and I personally would be interested in checking your box out if you're willing to call in to us. Just mention this posting and your forum name etc..

Matthew Willson-Heller

Barracuda Networks Inc.

#8 Jeanine Valesky

Jeanine Valesky
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

We are having the same issues with ours and it is so frustrating trying to do anything in it. We have given up all hope and don't have any extra money to spend on a new box. I, too, would like to know how to revert back to an earlier firmware and think new firmware shouldn't be released to older boxes. If it slows the thing down what good is it?

#9 Michael Kjellman

Michael Kjellman
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

Jeanine- To revert firmware please go to the Advanced tab > Firmware Update > and click the "Revert" button next to the version you would like to downgrade to.

#10 John Keenan

John Keenan
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

We're also having to revert the firmware.

Re comments on a 5 year old windows box, one of an appliances selling points is that you can avoid the usual Windows upgrade issues.

#11 Jeremy Bowling

Jeremy Bowling
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

A memory upgrade worked wonders on my Barracuda 300. I went from 512MB to 2GB and the difference is night and day.

#12 Mike Forney

Mike Forney
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

Jeremy, what type of memory is in the 300? I'm having the same issues and was thinking adding more memory should help

#13 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

FYI everyone,

Once you open your unit, you will void any warranty previously existing.

Matthew Willson-Heller

Barracuda Networks Inc.

#14 Mike Forney

Mike Forney
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Whoa, just dropped in 512Mb, for a total of 1Gb, and the unit is running great.

#15 Nicholas Moore

Nicholas Moore
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

FYI everyone, Once you open your unit, you will void any warranty previously existing.

Unfortunately it seems like we might not have a choice. I bought an appliance and pay every year for the updates and instant replacement. Then Barracuda decides to release software (that we pay for) that we can't run on boxes that we pay maintenance fees on. Frankly it doesn't seem right that we should have to pay to upgrade to a newer box so that we can use the features that we paid for.

#16 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

If you have instant replacement, and something is identified wrong with the box, we will gladly replace it.

Please contact support so we can double check this..

Matthew Willson-Heller

Barracuda Networks Inc.

#17 Leonard Posos

Leonard Posos
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

FYI everyone, Once you open your unit, you will void any warranty previously existing.

If you did not purchase instant replacement then is the standard warranty period just one year?

#18 Nick Anderson

Nick Anderson
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'm also in the same position with regard to sluggishness on a Model 400 with the newer firmware. I was quoted the "Hardware Refresh" at nearly $3,000. After weighing my options including what I already spend on Energize Updates, this is becoming a way more expensive unit than I had imagined when initially purchased. My system load is always under 10%, latency is always under 15 seconds. But the web interface is pretty much unusable. Has anyone else tried a simple memory upgrade and had success? If so, what type of RAM is in the unit? My unit is of course already out of warranty.

#19 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Those boxes 3+ years old are made up of about $500 in hardware. Even at the time, desktop PC's were running more powerful hardware specs than some of those 300 and below model Cuda boxes.

512mb of ram from the factory, even 3-4 years ago is insufficient.

#20 Leonard Posos

Leonard Posos
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

looks like the 400 we have was maxed out at the time.. 2 dimms 1GB each. pc5300. the MB has a sticker on it which seems to be the model # "M28MS-P-B-PB"