Photo

What features would you most like to see on the Barracuda Web Filter?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn Bater

Shawn Bater
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

What features would you most like to see on the Barracuda Web Filter? We welcome all suggestions and feedback!

#2 Kendall Rush

Kendall Rush
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

I would like the ability to sort the list which appears when you look at the message log.
I would especially like to sort by subject and sender.

It would make it easier to evaluate emails

#3 Brian Smyczynski

Brian Smyczynski
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

I understand that the web filter is a layer 3 device, so MAC address authentication is probably not easily achievable. As an alternative, it would be nice if we could authenticate usernames via IP address.

End-users (particularly executives) get frustrated having to log into the web filter every time they use their smartphone because the WiFi connection drops when not in use to conserve battery life. I have the ability to reserve IP addresses in DHCP to their MAC address. The only way I’ve found to eliminate the need to log in is to create a group by IP range and then create an exception for all web traffic for that group. The problem then becomes that they have carte blanche to the web and users start killing bandwidth watching Netflix movies and such. It would be nice to grant authentication by IP so that they are bound to the rules of the content filter without having to constantly log in first.

#4 Ben Lambert

Ben Lambert
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

I would really like more options for controlling bandwidth. As a school, YouTube is a particular issue and the current Quota system is not useful at all.

#5 Jason Duquain

Jason Duquain
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

The ability to track (running a report or otherwise) when someone enters the password to stop the web security agent.

#6 Jean Carlos

Jean Carlos
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Traffic shapper for some traffics. Like streaming videos and downloads.
Cisco Iron port have this feature and we lost some deals because this feature is not present on webfilter

#7 GraceWebFilter

GraceWebFilter
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

I would like to be able to see the hostnames in the logs beside the ip addresses.

#8 smn

smn
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

I would like to be able to synchronize Whitelists and Blocklists among all my Barracuda Web-Filters

#9 Duditts

Duditts
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I would like to see the ability to add static host entry into /etc/hosts.
Also have the ability to add an exception to "Client IP visability" both host and network rather than all or none.

#10 Nick Duda

Nick Duda
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Manipulate and/or monitor the cache.

#11 Chris Varner

Chris Varner
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

We have been using iPrism for the last 3 years and it has worked fine. We are now trying out the Barracuda and the interface and features look fine but I have found a few things I would like to see changed that seems like they would be very easy to accomplish.

These are all features iPrism had that Barracuda does not.
- On a users blocked page, add a form that will allow them to request access to the blocked page. Because my users dont have this feature now, I am getting calls about how to add it. The login override stuff is not very practical in my opinion.

- Add the ability to set preferences for reports. Right now in order to see every record on a report without scheduling it, I have to open advanced settings and changes several settings there. It would be nice to be able to set your report preferences and forget them.

- And probably most convenient featur the iPrism had was the ability to have custom policies. With Barracuda, you get authenticated and authenticated. Yes I know there is a work around for this using custom categories and that is what I am having to do, but it is not a prefered method of accomplishing this. I would like to create policies for AD groups and have it filter that way. That way is a lot easier than what I have found with the Barracuda.

I will add to this as I go, but I am still in the trial period and am still not sure I want to keep the unit, but the above additions would be a tremendous help. Right now, I can honstly say that with I prism you get more features for about the same amount of money, plus you can get for years for the price of 3, so total cost of ownership would be less.

#12 Earl Jordan

Earl Jordan
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Critical to us would be the DC Agent requirements for scanning existing security event logs from the DC's. We have millions of log records in there per day due to the requirements of success auditing for the DC Agent to use. This burdens our log filtering systems, fills our retention of logging, and I can go on.

#13 Ritter

Ritter
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

uptime status on all Barracuda equipment on the status page.

#14 GraceWebFilter

GraceWebFilter
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

I would like to be able to run a report on things like - Google Search terms from a specific user in the Web App Monitor over a date range. Also, in Web App Control, I'd like to know who has used what applications/services over a date range - perhaps broken down by bandwidth usage as well (would be very nice!). I tend to find the reporting on the Web Filter to be VERY lacking. Take a little time to make it more user-friendly and include more options. Thanks-

#15 Chris Clos

Chris Clos
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

Custom Reporting - the reporting isn't very helpful as is.

#16 corey

corey
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

A customizable captive portal that could redirect to an external URL.

#17 JR

JR
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

I like the Status page for the most part on firmware 7.0 but you really should be able to click on the information to get the full report directly from that page. Its great you give me the top blocked categories for the last hour/day but if I want to drill down to see what url's are getting blocked it should be a click away.

Also, the reporting seems a lot more limited with this release even though the output is a lot cleaner.

#18 Jerry Trimmer

Jerry Trimmer
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

Under Schedule Reports on the Reports page I would like to be able to select hours and minutes instead of just hours. If you click Help it says you can choose HH:MM but that is not the case. I have about 40 reports that run and I would like to stagger them at 15 or 30 minute increments.

#19 Josh Craine

Josh Craine
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

A more detailed Application Log. I never can tell what the heck is being blocked. Eve Online? Need for Speed? Need more information.

#20 Michael Greig

Michael Greig
  • Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Second the more detailed Appliction Log. Port/Protocol, & Dest IP would be useful.