Photo

What features would you most like to see on the Barracuda Web Filter?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

#41 Chris Hogan

Chris Hogan
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

As others have said, please bring back the User Activity Log.  Management often requests a report of a users web activity.  The top 10 or top 100 sites is not what they want.  They want to see their browsing history.

#42 Tim

Tim
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

Barracuda, engineering/support gurus. PLEASE add the ability to customize the blocked web page with HTML, or at least let us redirect the blocked page. About every other major Firewall manufacturer out there lets you do this.

Thanks!

#43 Jim Kennedy

Jim Kennedy
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

Barracuda, engineering/support gurus. PLEASE add the ability to customize the blocked web page with HTML, or at least let us redirect the blocked page. About every other major Firewall manufacturer out there lets you do this.

Thanks!

A redirect is there already.  On the Block/Accept tab then Configuration.

#44 Erwin van Oosterwijk

Erwin van Oosterwijk
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

Being able to replace the block message for adverts and popups would be great. Now banners are replaced by texts that don't make sense to end-users. You can customize all block messages, except this one. It looks like a mistake:

Access Blocked - Content Alert

The URL: http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-6739706230089431&etcetra was blocked

• The link you are accessing has been blocked by the Barracuda Web Filter because it matches a blocked category. The name of the category is: "advertisements-popups"

• If you believe this is an error or need to access this link please contact your administrator.

#45 cces24

cces24
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

I would like to have the vm tools in the virtual appliance. To have the possibility without loggin on to reboot or shoutdown the appliance easely and quick!

#46 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

Better control of blocking file downloads such as executable. We have created regular expressions but when you whitelist or create an exception it the bypasses the regular expression rules. I would like to allow access to a site while at the same time blocking downloads to sites.

#47 Cole Tarbet

Cole Tarbet
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

I would like to be able to see the hostnames in the logs beside the ip addresses.

#48 Terry Quick

Terry Quick
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

I would love to be able to use an IP instead of the FQDN of the cloud.  We have 3rd party print and time management software that can filter dynamically, IF there is an IP.  

#49 Richard Sullivan

Richard Sullivan
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:35 AM

I'd like to see a Weighted Words and Phrases feature:

Where all of the words in the url and on the web page are scanned. The web filter looks for any matches between the url/web page and a Weighted Words and Phrases lists. If there are any matches, the web filter adds the score associated with the match to the page's total Weight. If the Weight is below the Weight Threshold, the web page may be sent to the user if it is not blocked by other Content Filtering options.

#50 Richard Sullivan

Richard Sullivan
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

Also a much larger web log. 250,000 entries is about a day for me, and it's as important to see how users arrived at a prohibiited site as that they did. I haven't ever found a satisfactory way to research policy infractions through reports.

250,000 entries is about 45 minutes for me. A couple of days would be nice.

#51 cces24

cces24
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:11 AM

Hi

i would like to have custom categorys fot Web Apps

that you can make one filter over several categorys.

Greetings

Dennis

#52 Richard Hein

Richard Hein
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:25 PM

BUMP

Installed the v8 ER and it's still not there.

This is the single most requested information from management - "What web sites did Joe Smith got to?"

Absolutely correct a report to show individual actiivty is vital!

#53 Matt in VA

Matt in VA
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

I want the ability to limit what sites a specific computer can use based on url or domain. Not sure how to make that happen as is.

#54 David Fowler

David Fowler
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

I would like to see the Web Filter support some type of Netflow reporting. 

#55 Cole Tarbet

Cole Tarbet
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:10 PM

I understand that the web filter is a layer 3 device, so MAC address authentication is probably not easily achievable. As an alternative, it would be nice if we could authenticate usernames via IP address.

End-users (particularly executives) get frustrated having to log into the web filter every time they use their smartphone because the WiFi connection drops when not in use to conserve battery life. I have the ability to reserve IP addresses in DHCP to their MAC address. The only way I’ve found to eliminate the need to log in is to create a group by IP range and then create an exception for all web traffic for that group. The problem then becomes that they have carte blanche to the web and users start killing bandwidth watching Netflix movies and such. It would be nice to grant authentication by IP so that they are bound to the rules of the content filter without having to constantly log in first.

#56 Greg Hader

Greg Hader
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:44 PM

As others have said, please bring back the User Activity Log.  Management often requests a report of a users web activity.  The top 10 or top 100 sites is not what they want.  They want to see their browsing history.

Bump'ing my original request - just had our Loss Prevention staff ask for a user's browsing history and I had to tell them that our device doesn't do that anymore.

#57 Christoph Kirchner

Christoph Kirchner
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:59 AM

We need the feature for changing the mail sender address for alerting (spyware download, disk space, etc).

The domain @barracuda.barracudanetworks.com or @barracudanetworks.com is not allowed to deliver mail from the web filter to our local mta, because it is not an internal trustet domain.

(e.g spyware-notify-bounces@barracuda.barracudanetworks.com should be spyware-notify-bounces@mylocaldomain.com)

#58 Jesse Harvey

Jesse Harvey
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:24 PM

Logoff Script for authenticated users via active directory 

Ability to clear cache on a daily basis

keyword blocking on the 410 model

#59 Daniel Domínguez

Daniel Domínguez
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:10 PM

We have been using iPrism for the last 3 years and it has worked fine. We are now trying out the Barracuda and the interface and features look fine but I have found a few things I would like to see changed that seems like they would be very easy to accomplish.

These are all features iPrism had that Barracuda does not.
- On a users blocked page, add a form that will allow them to request access to the blocked page. Because my users dont have this feature now, I am getting calls about how to add it. The login override stuff is not very practical in my opinion.

- Add the ability to set preferences for reports. Right now in order to see every record on a report without scheduling it, I have to open advanced settings and changes several settings there. It would be nice to be able to set your report preferences and forget them.

- And probably most convenient featur the iPrism had was the ability to have custom policies. With Barracuda, you get authenticated and authenticated. Yes I know there is a work around for this using custom categories and that is what I am having to do, but it is not a prefered method of accomplishing this. I would like to create policies for AD groups and have it filter that way. That way is a lot easier than what I have found with the Barracuda.

I will add to this as I go, but I am still in the trial period and am still not sure I want to keep the unit, but the above additions would be a tremendous help. Right now, I can honstly say that with I prism you get more features for about the same amount of money, plus you can get for years for the price of 3, so total cost of ownership would be less.

I agree with you in the 3rd point, I'm in the same situation, I used an iPrims and is eaiser to create profiles, with barracuda you just have authenticated and not authenticated users and this is wrong, a lot of work!!!, In my case I used Custom Categories and a lot of Exceptions with the AD Groups.

#60 Daniel Domínguez

Daniel Domínguez
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:50 PM

SSL inspection in all models, I think is a basic function. 

A function to recategorizes a domain within the existing categories.

Include the rule number in the web register to know what rul exception is appling.