syslog remote access

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dennis Pinckard

Dennis Pinckard
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

The barracuda allows me to send syslog data to a remote syslogd server, but in a Windows environment, there are no native syslogd servers.

Yeah, I know there are several "free" and commercial versions, but it really irks that we can't get to the data directly. Going through an intermediary introduces complexity and opportunity for lost information.

Ideally, I would want root access to the box, cause ya know, we own it. BUT I understand. I don't give my users access to their desktops because it greatly reduces support issues.

So my second choice would be the ability to grab the files via FTP/SFTP using the existing administrative account. Even if it is just the archived logs. (Would be nice to let me then specify rotating logs hourly)

#2 Shawn Bater

Shawn Bater
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

Hi Dennis,

The output we send to syslog servers is identical to the data that exists in the web traffic and GUI logs right down to the order and formatting. I can file a feature request for retrieval via FTP/SFTP.

Regarding configurable rotation parameters, these are present in our 6.0 firmware.