• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Hetzel

Tim Hetzel
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

What exactly does it mean when an inbound message is tagged by SPF checking? There are the options of Tag or Block. Is this similar to Spam tagging where it modifies the subject of the message or is it transparent to the end-users? I don't see an option to specify the tag, so this leads me to believe it is something behind the scenes, possibly changing the spam score. Everything I have read in documentation and help files seems to be very vague on the subject and the options are limited.

#2 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hi Tim, thank you for contacting Barracuda Networks technical forums!

If you set a system to TAG, then it will "TAG" aka modify the subject line to reflect a configured title of your choice.. so if an email comes in say violating SPF , and you have SPF checking set to tag, and the spam tag set to [BULK], it would come in as [BULK] Original subject.

The tagging configuration can be found via Basic -> Spam Checking tab -> Spam Tag Configuration

Please be aware if something is set to tag or quarantine, it will continue to be graded and could be blocked for another reason down the line.

Matthew Willson-Heller
Support Escalation Manager, US

Barracuda Networks Inc.
Phone: +1 408.342.5300 x5346
Fax: +1 408.342.1061
Web: www.barracudanetworks.com

#3 Tim Hetzel

Tim Hetzel
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't completely sure that the tagging for spam was the same tagging as for SPF. Is it safe to conclude that when tagging or blocking for SPF is enabled, that only happens when it is positively violating SPF? So if the send does not have SPF records published it will be ignored? The last thing I want to do is start blocking mail because they haven't configured SPF.

#4 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

Hi tim,

this is correct, We only act if there is an SPF record, and IF the SPF record is set to hard fail... otherwise we will just dis regard the SPF results.

Matthew Willson-Heller
Support Escalation Manager, US

Barracuda Networks Inc.
Phone: +1 408.342.5300 x5346
Fax: +1 408.342.1061
Web: www.barracudanetworks.com

#5 Dan Paspalovski

Dan Paspalovski
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:02 PM

Hi,

I have Spam Tag Configuration set with the Subject Tag: [BULK].  Is there a way to block all messages with [BULK] from being sent to the end-user?  

Thanks

Dan