• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn Bater

Shawn Bater
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

Please Read Before Updating

Before installing any firmware version, be sure to make a backup of your configuration and read all release notes that apply to versions more recent than the one currently running on your system. Important: A configuration backup made in version 4.4 and lower cannot be restored to version 4.5 and higher.
Do not manually reboot your system at any time during an upgrade, unless otherwise instructed by Barracuda Networks Technical Support. The update process typically takes only a few minutes after the update is applied. If the process takes longer, please contact Technical Support for further assistance.
Upgrading to Version 6.x
  • After upgrading to version 6.0, reverting back to the previous firmware version or to the factory installed version is not possible.
Firmware Version 6.0

New Features
  • User Interface
    • Improved applications filtering interface. The BLOCK/ACCEPT > Applications page now provides block and allow actions for specific application traffic that is not browser-based. For example: Skype, Pandora, Adobe Acrobat, FTP. You can select from a pre-defined list of non-HTTP Web applications as well as submit a suggestion of an application that the Barracuda Web Filter should block.
    • Revised layout for ADVANCED > Remote Filtering page Barracuda Web Security Agent settings. Includes new support for Mac OS-X with the Barracuda Web Security Agent.
  • Web Application Control

Provides block and allow actions for web-based applications such as Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and others. You can, for example, allow users in the organization to log into Facebook to view and make status updates and use chat, while blocking games, shares and other Facebook apps to protect your network from viruses and malware. Couple this functionality with the powerful Web Application Monitoring feature, which allows you to capture these social media interactions for archiving. Configure from the new BLOCK/ACCEPT > Web App. Control page.
  • Web Application Monitoring
    • Enables the capture of chat, email, user registrations and social media interactions on social media portals for the purpose of archiving and searching by source or content. The archiving repository can be your Barracuda Message Archiver, your Microsoft Exchange Server journaling tool or, for example, a system administrator email address. Configure from the BLOCK/ACCEPT > Web App. Monitor page.
      Specify a Notification Email Address for archiving selected actions and associated content. The Barracuda Web Filter will package each interaction as an SMTP message and email it to this address, which can then be marked for archiving. Use the Barracuda Message Archiver or other archiving solution to index messages for searching by source or content. Alerts can then be generated per policy you set in your archiving solution. Available on the Barracuda Web Filter 610 and higher.
  • Networking
    • Dual Bridge Mode, providing dual LAN/WAN bridges for Barracuda Web Filter 1010.
  • Enhanced HTTPS Filtering
    • Support for HTTPS with WCCP deployment. HTTPS traffic will be filtered in WCCP deployment mode if Enable HTTPS Filtering is enabled from the BLOCK/ACCEPT > Configuration page.
    • SSL Inspection. The Barracuda Web Filter can decrypt HTTPS traffic at the URL level and apply policy accordingly. For Forward Proxy deployments only, this feature is configurable from the BLOCK/ACCEPT > Configuration page. To use SSL Inspection, you must also either upload a trusted or create a self-signed root certificate to install on all client browsers and other Barracuda Web Filters (when using linked management). Configure SSL Inspection certs from the ADVANCED > SSL Inspection page. Available on the Barracuda Web Filter 610 and higher.

#2 Michael Wood

Michael Wood
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

VOIP block because "netmeeting" even with a IP exemption.
Safari blocked because "AOL Browser" even with a IP exemption.

Come on gang. This cost me big time.

#3 Michael Wood

Michael Wood
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:26 AM

Forgot........"PlayStation Network"? WTH? There isn't any PlayStation anything within miles of our network.

GYST

#4 Staylor130

Staylor130
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

I have just updated to this firmware, against a warning from my friend.

So far I have found that in the applications tab underblock, that if you uncheck the categories that they will move most, not all items to the blocked side. However when you hit save the changes revert back. I know the instructions say to select each item then hit block/allow for that effect but why are the category boxes there if they do not work?

Also as stated some programs, perhaps from the old list, are not populated in the block list when doing this, such as speakfreely, Jabber/XMP, Pidgen/Jabber.

As others have pointed out the application block patterns have always been slightly over reaching and incorrect.

#5 Staylor130

Staylor130
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Sorry I seem not to be able to edit my post. Also please look at the categorization of applicatons. Azureus,Bareshare,eDonkey are under communication? They are clearly P2P programs.

Firmware v6.0.0.013011