XenServer Tools

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Dawoud

Mike Dawoud
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:37 AM

We are running the XenServer edition of the Barracuda Spam Firewall. It does not appear that it came loaded with the XenServer tools. This is causing us a bit of trouble as we are not able to migrate the VMs between physical servers when doing maintenance and have to actually shut down the Barracuda VMs and manually migrate. Is there any way to add the XenServer tools in to the VM so that we can manage them properly?

#2 Bart Brevink

Bart Brevink
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

I experience the same problem

#3 kylel renfrow

kylel renfrow
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

Hi,

I would also like to +1 this. The lack of XenServer tools on this appliance when it's marketed as xenserver supported is upsetting. Without xentools I am extremely limited in management of the server. I can't migrate, I can't install pool updates, etc... All of these tasks require a total shutdown/reboot which defeats the purpose of virtualizing it to begin with.

PLEASE HELP. I am strongly considering switching products bc of the lack of xentools.

#4 Mike Dawoud

Mike Dawoud
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

Is there any word on when this is going to happen? We can't do proper rolling pool updates with the Barracudas not having the virtualization tools. This really needs to be fixed!

#5 Mark Parsons

Mark Parsons
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

+1
Would really appreciate a resolution to this issue!

#6 kylel renfrow

kylel renfrow
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

FYI, this is what I got back from Barracuda last time I asked...

Unfortunately, Barracuda does not support, nor do they plan to support, xentools installation on Citrix XenServer platforms. The reason for this is that the Barracuda products are network interface devices and not typical servers.

I'd like to +1 this again. The reply above is simply not valid one.

Currently I am forced to deal with down-time in order to apply updates/upgrades to my cloud. The reason for this is that XenServer cannot manage the Barracuda device without xentools.

Barracuda's time to resolve this is running out... please help.

#7 Mike Dawoud

Mike Dawoud
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

Any updates on this? We still can't do rolling pool upgrades without taking offline our Barracudas. Barracuda should not market these as Xen server supported if they don't have the XenServer Tools.

#8 Ron Carter

Ron Carter
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

If you have a clustered configuration put them on different nodes. Put a load balancer in front of them and then you can take them up and down as needed. This will limit your exposure.
RC

#9 Mike Dawoud

Mike Dawoud
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

We do that, and it does limit our exposure, however it prevents us from doing rolling pool upgrades. The upgrade wizard won't run with the VMs started because they can not be migrated from node to node.

#10 kylel renfrow

kylel renfrow
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

That isn't a solution anyway. To back Mike up, I am still waiting for xentools. Without it the VM is and always will be limited.

#11 Mike Dawoud

Mike Dawoud
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

Is there any progress on this? I noticed the SSL VPN virtual machine now has XenTools when we installed it. Is this available in the newly updated Barracuda Spam Firewall images?

#12 kylel renfrow

kylel renfrow
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

Hey man it's been a long time coming... the most recent download now comes w/ xentools!

You download the most recent release and import the new template.

#13 Mike Dawoud

Mike Dawoud
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

That is awesome! Thanks for the info.