Photo

Beta version 10.0 is live which supports VMware ESX

ESX VMware Beta

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Kloos

Ben Kloos
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

The beta version of YSB 10.0 is live which includes an ESX agent. If you are interested in trying this version fill out this form or contact our support department with your serial number.

release notes: http://updates.cudasvc.com/cgi-bin/view_release_notes.cgi?type=ysb&version=10.0.00.21359

Here are some instructions to get you up and running with the new connector:

1. Select a suitable Microsoft Windows System to be a proxy for Backups
a. Version: Windows XP SP2 or higher
b. Download and Install PowerCLI: http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/PowerCLI/
c. Storage: Sufficient storage capacity on the local file system for temporarily storing vmdks associated with ESX guest machines.
The vmdks are copied to this location serially so the directory specified must have free space greater than utilized space of the largest vmdk in the backup.

2. Configure the Agent in YSB Administrator
a. Enable the Agent followed by configuring the ESX Hosts and corresponding usernames and passwords
b. Specify a folder for the Staging Area

3. Select VMware ESX Guests for Backup

#2 John Taylor

John Taylor
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

No more support for Windows Server 2003?

#3 Ben Kloos

Ben Kloos
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

Absolutely not. Except for the addition of partial Windows 2012 / Windows 8 support no OS support has changed. Why do you ask?

#4 Scott Frazier

Scott Frazier
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

That is contradictory answer if I've ever read one. "Absolutely not." (Win 2003 is not supported), and then proceed with "the addition of Windows 8 and 2012 support" is the only change to OS support.
Which is it?
Yes, w2k3 is supported along with the additions of Windows 8 and 2012?
or
No, w2k3 is no longer supported. But, we added Windows 8 and 2012?

#5 Ben Kloos

Ben Kloos
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

Windows 2003 is still supported and there are no plans to remove support for it.

#6 John Taylor

John Taylor
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Absolutely not. Except for the addition of partial Windows 2012 / Windows 8 support no OS support has changed. Why do you ask?

From the release notes:
The following recent operating systems are supported in version 10.0.00 (BETA):
  • Windows
    • Windows Server 2012*
    • Windows 8*
    • Windows Small Business Server 2011
    • Windows 7, Service Pack 1
    • 2008 Server, Service Pack 2
    • 2008 Server, R2, Service Pack 1
  • Linux
    • RHEL 5.6, 5.7, 5.8, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3
    • SLES 11.1, 11.2
    • Ubuntu 10.10, 11.04, 11.10, 12.04

#7 Ben Kloos

Ben Kloos
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

Our release notes are calling out the recent operating systems that are supported. For a complete list see: http://www.barracudaware.com/support/os

10.0 is not listed on that link because it is not released but Windows 2003 will be listed when it is.

#8 John Taylor

John Taylor
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

And maybe we'll actually get some up-to-date documentation when 10.0 is released?

I know, wishful thinking...

#9 Rob Lore

Rob Lore
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

I contacted support and filled out the form about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back...I would like to test out this beta.

Thanks

#10 Matt Orme

Matt Orme
  • Moderators
  • 463 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Rob, the maintenance and support contract for the serial number you'd supplied on the beta enrollment for was expired. As such you would not be able to upgrade to the beta release. I'm going to contact you directly to help resolve this.

#11 Eugeneb

Eugeneb
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

The beta version of YSB 10.0 is live which includes an ESX agent. If you are interested in trying this version fill out this form or contact our support department with your serial number.

2. Configure the Agent in YSB Administrator
a. Enable the Agent followed by configuring the ESX Hosts and corresponding usernames and passwords
b. Specify a folder for the Staging Area

3. Select VMware ESX Guests for Backup

Could I get a bit more instruction as to how to find and configure (and install, I suppose) this Agent? I've downloaded the beta and installed the CLI on the Master YSB Server, but now I'm a bit stuck having no experience with this before.

Thanks!

#12 Matt Orme

Matt Orme
  • Moderators
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Expand the server in your network to which you've installed the VMware CLI. You'll see an object there listed as VMware ESX Agent.

If you highlight that object you'll see a configuration option on the header toolbar. Click on it.

This will open a new window with a checkbox at the top to enable the agent. Check the box.

Then in the space provided provide the ESX Hostname/IP - User Name - Password for you ESX hosts.

These will initially be followed by a red exclamation point.

Once you've filled the fields click 'Test Connections'. At this point YSB will attempt to contact the hosts listed. Once the connections have been confirmed, the red exclamation points will be replaced with green check marks.

At this point you can apply and close the configuration window.

Now you will be able to expand your VMware ESX agent object and see your hosts below. Further, you'll be able to expand the individual hosts to see their respective guest machines.

If you have any trouble or require clarification feel free to contact me directly via email to morme@barracuda.com.