Photo

exempting specific mail server addresses from a header filter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Goebel

Kevin Goebel
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Firmware v4.1.2.007 (2010-10-16 23:16:58)
Model: 600
Virus definition v3.6.1.1087
Spam definition v3.2.2.112471

I would like to exempt a few, but not all e-mail accounts on our mail server from having messages blocked due to a header content filter. In other words, if have a content filter that blocks messages with the domain ickyspam.com in a header filter, can I configure my Barracuda to allow those messages to be passed through to the mail server for spamhandler@mycompany.com and spamadmin@mycompany.com, but still be blocked if addressed to any other mycompany.com account?

I would want this to be transparent to the users of the bypassed e-mail.

I'm still running Firmware v4.1.2.007 but would upgrade to a v5.something if required.

Thank you.

Kevin

#2 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi Kevin and thank you for contacting Barracuda Networks technical forums!

In terms of precedence, you can indeed setup a per domain white list so that globally the rest of your domains would not allow this through.

Matthew Willson-Heller
Support Escalation Manager, US

Barracuda Networks Inc.
Phone: +1 408.342.5300 x5346
Fax: +1 408.342.1061
Web: www.barracudanetworks.com

#3 Kevin Goebel

Kevin Goebel
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

I'm not sure I explained my requirement adequately (or I'm not clearly understanding your reply). I want to allow all messages from different addresses of one specific domain addressed to several of our employees to go through, but not allow any other employees to receive them, even if they are addressed to their addresses specifically.

Here's another attempt at an example: I would like several people, such as ralph@mycompany.com and judy@mycompany.com to receive e-mail from any address @timewasting.net, but no other messages from timewasting.net to get through. So Ralph and Judy will receive any email sent from the timewasting.net domain, but all other employees will not receive timewasting.net email.

Thank you.

Kevin

#4 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hello kevin,

Logically, spam systems have an order of precedence, so I was referring the capability to setup a whitelist that would allow these to get through to your desired recipients.

If you wanted to enable 2 recipients in a domain to receive the email, but all others not - then you would need to create:

A per user white list for each user that is going to accept the email
Then create a per domain Sender domain quarantine block that would cause all email from this domain to be caught.

Matthew Willson-Heller
Support Escalation Manager, US

Barracuda Networks Inc.
Phone: +1 408.342.5300 x5346
Fax: +1 408.342.1061
Web: www.barracudanetworks.com