• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lasse Thomsen

Lasse Thomsen
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

Dear Barracuda,

We have had your product on trial for a period of time (2 x 490's in our UK/US locations) .

We do really like the product, but we have one area that would be nice to improve upon.

In our setup we have many Linux servers running Unbuntu 12.04 LTS with MySQL.

To backup these servers I use the ssh-key to get into the Linux file system and that works fine, but speed could be improved with an agent for sure.

Second, the way I go about backing up the MySQL is as follows:
A few hours before the Barracuda backup starts I run a script that uses mysqldump for each of the databases on the server, then gzip the file using the --rsyncable flag that I hope helps the barracuda de-dup?

part of the script:
mysqldump -f -h $serverip --database $database --compress

# note that the flag --rsyncable makes the file 1% bigger but should help de-dup
gzip --rsyncable --force $backup_dir/$database.sql

The MySQL data takes up the biggest amount of our backup and having to install backup scripts and cron job's on each server is a bit of a pain and also scheduling the cron job to align with the barracuda can be tricky, so a MySQL agent would be highly appreciated.

Is this something you would consider to add and if yes do you have a rough ETA?

PS: if you have a better way to deal with MySQL backups I am all ears.

#2 Guest_Hakam Hamad_*

Guest_Hakam Hamad_*
  • Demo Users

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hello Lasse,

Thanks for your comments and question. We do currently have a Linux agent in development with a targeted GA of Q1 2013. As for SQL, what you're doing right now is ok, the gzip isnt really necessary but doing it isnt harmful either.

#3 Lasse Thomsen

Lasse Thomsen
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

Thanks for the update Hakam, I look forward to the Linux agent, will this agent be able to backup MySQL as well?

#4 Christian Doerk

Christian Doerk
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

I like the Barracuda Backup too. A Linux agend is really needed. Looking forward to it!

#5 Ben Paxton

Ben Paxton

Technical Delivery Manager

• Product Managers
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

The Linux agent is code complete, but we're looking for some beta testers to help us find bugs. If you're interested please send me a private message.

#6 Zeb

Zeb
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:25 AM

Mr Paxton,

Barracuda Support,

- is there already some sort of support for mySQL ? (in linux or windows) 

- if not, is there a reference to the Feature Request for mySQL support in the Linux agent ?

Thank you,

Zeb