ditribution groups active directory quarantine LDAP Scan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Czymoch

Robert Czymoch
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

We are about to go live with our 300 spam and virus firewall.

Barracuda support has been great so far, but they haven't been able to adequately answer the following scenario question. Probably because I haven't explained it well.

We have quarantine turned on, mainly because our users are not so good at managing email and we have quotas on our exchange server. So we do not want needless e-mail to reach users inboxes.

How does this device handle a internet mail enabled distribution group? If I let the device scan for these what is going to happen here? Will it create a quarantine account for each group? So then I will have a welcome letter go out to every member of that group?

The service we currently use - postini. Allowed us to create an account (which we called mailing lists) and we aliased every group we had with an internet email address to that account. We then had a couple of people monitoring that account. We also had it set so that any time we added an internet enabled list it automatically was set as an alias to this account.

Can these devices support something like this? If not how are others handling this scenario?

#2 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hello robert and thank you for contacting Barracuda Networks technical forums.

Currently if you attempt to use quarantine on a Distribution List based email group, an account will be created for that SMTP address, and everyone would be required to share the credentials to be able to manage this list. So when quarantine digests are sent out everyone will receive one. We would recommend setting a global password shared in the group for this.

We are looking to augment our DL support options in up coming releases, stay tuned!

Matthew Willson-Heller
Support Escalation Manager, US

Barracuda Networks Inc.
Phone: +1 408.342.5300 x5346
Fax: +1 408.342.1061
Web: www.barracudanetworks.com

#3 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Additionally, you can set up an alternative notification address to receive the quarantine digest so that just 1 person would receive these digests to manage the box.

Matthew Willson-Heller

Barracuda Networks Inc.

#4 Robert Czymoch

Robert Czymoch
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I imagine I do this in the account settings for the account that gets created?

#5 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Correct within the Quarantine settings tab -> notification section

Matthew Willson-Heller

Barracuda Networks Inc.

#6 Mike Terruso

Mike Terruso
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

We had the same request. They need a catch-all for not only email enabled DL's but for mail-enabled public folders as well...