Spyware Firewall 410 proxy?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Brandon Munger

Brandon Munger
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:47 PM

Hello, We have just installed the Spyware Firewall 410 in a testing area, and once the Active mode is turned on, the web does not work. However, FTP and ICMP ping work. If it is put in Soft Bypass mode web works correctly. For kicks, I set it as a http proxy and that worked. But that bothers us. With 1000+ computers, we cannot add a proxy to all these machines. Any Help would be appreciated.

#2 andrewle

andrewle
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:50 AM

From a reliability perspective I recommend defining proxies. I'm not a big fan or transparent proxies.I say that as a web hosting provider for hundreds of customers with hundreds of thousands of users. Most of our customers are fortune 1000 and they tend to have fancy web caches in place. We typically only get call about problems from those who use "transparent" web proxies.Look in to WPAD if you don't want to update 1000 machines. WPAD saves a ton of work and it allows you to centralize how users get to the proxies. It's just a matter of making sure the browser is set to auto-detect the proxies after that and that's very easy to direct users through if they get stuck. IE defaults to autodetect which helps. Firefox needs a little attention.Windows Media Player (9 and 10) is a good example of a piece of software that really wants proxies defined.