Cisco 7911 support End of Sale

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Hader

Greg Hader
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Cisco has discontinued the 7911G ("Last Ship Date" was May 2012; "End of New Service Attachment" - a new support contract - was February of 2013), and is recommending their 6921 as a migration.

What plans does Barracuda have to add support for new phones, in particular phones a manufacturer is recommending to replace models that are no longer manufactured and are dropping out of support?

#2 Michael Collins

Michael Collins
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationCentral Valley in CA

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

The CudaTel is designed to work with SIP devices. The new Cisco 6900-series phones are not SIP-enabled and only support Cisco's proprietary SCCP "skinny" protocol. Your best option to replace 7900-series phones would be Polycom, Yealink, or some of the other phones found on the http://cudatel.com/training/matrix.php.

-Michael

#3 Greg Hader

Greg Hader
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Drilling down deeper in to the Cisco specs, they are dropping quite a few of the SIP/SCCP capable models and seem to be heading for SCCP only.

Right now, I can use a 7911 on both my Call Manager and CudaTel systems by doing a reset and the required firmware for each is loaded in a minute or two.

#4 Greg Hader

Greg Hader
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

There will be a flood of used 7911's when the big outfits do system-wide upgrades, I've got a couple of hundred on my CM system that will start rotating out at some point in the future.

Of course that means you are buying used equipment to start with, and eventually the used market will dry up.
Any recommendations for non-Cisco phones?

#5 TekMason

TekMason
  • Members
  • 140 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hi Michael,

Where you having a bad day fighting with Cisco gear when you posted that message? [img]https://community.barracudanetworks.com/forum/public/style_emoticons//wink.png[/img]
The new Cisco 6900 series phones are SIP-enabled and I think SIP is the default.

Most of us have felt the frustration of working with products from Goliaths like Cisco and Microsoft who keep trying to hold and grow their customer base by mangling open standards and introducing proprietary methods where they can. Unfortunately, because of their market penetration we can not ignore them.

I know it is painful and goes against the purist's principles but please add support for Cisco 6900 series on the Cudatel.

/TekMason

The CudaTel is designed to work with SIP devices. The new Cisco 6900-series phones are not SIP-enabled and only support Cisco's proprietary SCCP "skinny" protocol. Your best option to replace 7900-series phones would be Polycom, Yealink, or some of the other phones found on the http://cudatel.com/training/matrix.php.

-Michael

#6 Greg Hader

Greg Hader
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

+1 for adding support for the 69XX phones.

With the built in speakerphone and dual line support, we are planning on using them as new/replacement for both the Cisco 7911 and 7942.

#7 Brian West

Brian West
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

Cisco SIP != Standard SIP, many of the SIP firmwares will work with CudaTel but at a reduced functionality... Conferencing/Threeway calling, Transfer and various other BLF/SLA extensions that only work with Cisco Call Manager.

/b

#8 Nicholas Belluni

Nicholas Belluni
  • Moderators
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

We have no plans to support the Cisco 69xx series phones. Cisco isn't very responsive when we find bugs in their software because they are disinclined to acquiesce our requests.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cisco, 7911, support, End of Sale