• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Nathan Leister

Nathan Leister
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hello

I'm having a DNS lookup issue when my VPN client is connected. If I ping <servername> I get a response from what looks like a public IP address but I don't think that is the real issue. If I ping FQDN I get the correct IP address.

We have DNS suffix's set in the order of what ever computer domain your in that is the suffix at the top of the list.

example:
topdomain.com
subdomain1.com
subdomain2.com
subdomain3.com
subdomain4.com

So if my computer is in subdomain2.com and I want to ping a server called server1.subdomain4.com I would use ping server1 and the correct IP would respond. The name server1 is unique so I know it will only reside in subdomain4.com . I don't want to use FQDN's ....

But on VPN, it will always append the DNS suffix at the top of the list if your only using hostnames. So I if ping that same server server1, the suffix subdomain2.com will be appended to it even though the server is actually in subdomain4.com becasue that is the domain my computer is in and subdomain2.com is the first one in my list.

We have the suffix list in the VPN adapter, but it seems to ignore the list and only use the first one.

I've manually re-ordered the VPN adapter so its the first one in the list

my nslookup shows the correct DNS servers

My ipconfig info looks correct

I'm running win7 Sp1, and NG VPN client 3.2

Thanks