Photo

Link Domains AND Unify E-mail Aliases... Why not both?

alias unify e-mail alias link domains link

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Dougherty

Ryan Dougherty
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Link Domains (globally) and Unify E-mail aliases in each of my 6 domains used to be simultaneously enabled.

After one of the frimware updates, this was no longer possible and you could only have one or the other. My question is what was the problem with having both enabled? It worked fine for me... in fact, the change that brought the inability, broke my configurtions.

My Exchange 2010 configuration:

Most users have both part 1 and part 2.

Part 1 -
Our company has several brands which requires the majority of our users to be able to send from multiple domain accounts, i.e. bob@abc.com (default), bob@def.com (extra), bob@ghi.com (extra).

In order to accomplish sending from the extra e-mail addresses on Exchange, you create a distribution group with bob's AD account as the only member and you have bob@def.com as the only e-mail address. In ADUC, you locate the new distribution group and, under the Security tab in properites, you give Bob's AD user "Send As" permissions. This allows Bob to receive all e-mail for each brand in a single mailbox and send as individual brands/domains, as needed.

Part 2 -
Some users also have multiple e-mail aliases, i.e. bob@abc.com, bob.jenkins@abc.com, bjenkins@abc.com. These aliases are all controlled in the properties of the user's mailbox, under the e-mail addresses tab.

The problem I am having:

When only the Unify Aliases is enabled in each (or a particular) domain -
  • A message bound for a user's distribution group is flagged for quarantine.
  • The message sits in the quarantine box.
  • The quarantine summary e-mail is sent.
  • The user clicks on any of the links to interact with the quarantined message.
  • Unable to login to the quarantine inbox.
When only the Link Domains option is checked
  • A message bound for a user's alias is flagged for quarantine.
  • The message is delivered directly to that user's mailbox, completely bypassing the quarantine.
Why can't I enable both? Or can you please provide a solution that allows users with distribution groups to access the quarantined inboxes and linking the domains?

#2 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

if all of your accounts were created based on these 2 settings being enabled; while bizarre that you ran into no problems - if you contact support we can flip the switch on this on the backend.

Actions such as quarantine have nothing to do with because it is a distribution group etc.. and/or whether unify is on or not, unless there was a white list involved

Linking domains is a poor mans unify email alias setting that has no benefit if the LDAP is setup properly. All link domains does is link back the username portion to any domain associated on the box.

We recommend you contacting support to straighten out what may be occurring unexpectedly otherwise.

Matthew Willson-Heller
Support Escalation Manager, US

Barracuda Networks Inc.
Phone: +1 408.342.5300 x5346
Fax: +1 408.342.1061
Web: www.barracudanetworks.com

#3 Ryan Dougherty

Ryan Dougherty
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am calling in about this.

I am sure that our Exchange config is not the average, but I know of several other organizations setup this way.

#4 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Please do,

by the way, it was a BUG that we ever allowed them to be used together in the first place.

Matthew Willson-Heller

Barracuda Networks Inc.

#5 Ryan Dougherty

Ryan Dougherty
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

I spoke with support and the rep said the only thing I can do is go into domains>domain manager>abc.com>Users>Valid Reipients and put the entries into the box with the default and all the aliases for every single mailbox. I have 100 mailboxes! And every time I add a user, I would need to add them there. That seems unreasonable.

Surely this can't be the only way.

#6 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

this is severely untrue.

reopening the case, and we will be in touch

Matthew Willson-Heller

Barracuda Networks Inc.

#7 Ryan Dougherty

Ryan Dougherty
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

Hi Matthew,

I have not heard anything about this. Please advise.

Thanks,

Ryan

#8 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

left you a voicemail just now,

give me a call back and I will enable it for you on the backend here.

I educated the previous technician how to enable this as well .

Matthew Willson-Heller

Barracuda Networks Inc.

#9 Ryan Dougherty

Ryan Dougherty
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your help earlier. I left you a VM to see if you can help me again on Friday.

I am still having an issue. Users that have the distribution groups are getting the quarantine e-mails but when clicking the links to interact, are asked to login to the site instead of automatically getting logged in.

Also, if a distribution list does not already have a quarantine box for that domain, the message is flagged as quarantined in the message log but is still delivered to the member of the group without actually being quarantined.

Please advise.

Thanks again.

#10 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

left you a voicemail / email - give me a call back when you can!

Matthew Willson-Heller

Barracuda Networks Inc.