Barracuda Networks would like to invite current Barracuda Backup customers to participate in an early access beta test of our newest Linux and Windows agents, which will be included with an upcoming firmware release.
In order to participate in the beta test you must currently have a BBS with firmware 5.1.03 or newer.
There are essentially two options for this beta.
Option 1 is an early beta of the entire 5.3 firmware. 5.3 is a new feature release and will support the following new technologies:
- Windows Server 2012 with ReFS and deduplicated NTFS volumes
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- Microsoft Exchange 2013 database and Message Level backups
- Microsoft Hyper-V 2012 and Hyper-V Cluster Shared Volumes for Windows Server 2008 (not 2012)
- Barracuda Backup Agent for LInux including open file and extended file attribute support
Additionally there are various performance improvements and bug fixes over 5.1.03 in the 5.3 firmware.
If you are interested in upgrading your backup server to 5.3 please comment on this thread and a member of the product management team will contact you to facilitate the upgrade.
Options 2 is just the new Barracuda Backup agent for Windows and Linux with out the firmware update. The Windows agent provides most of the functionality of the 5.3 firmware with the exception of Microsoft SQL 2012 support. This first iteration of the Barracuda Backup Agent for Linux supports File System backups and will restore file attributes/permissions. This beta agent supports Linux distributions that are based on RedHat, Debian, or Ubuntu and have been released since 2005.
You can find the latest agent builds here: https://copy.com/UcVMAwyyGJZT
We would like to encourage customers using the beta agent or firmware to first seek support on this forum thread which will also act as a knowledge base for bugs and common questions.
The following are known bugs or issues that are important to take into account when installing the beta agent(s).
- The core agent database has been changed in this build. This means the first backup with the new agent will require an agent database rebuild. Additionally the new agent is capturing more metadata for individual files than previous agents as a result you will see reports with more modified data than previous backups. These changes can also significantly increase the backup window, however it should only be required for the first backup.
- There are limitations to restoring Hyper-V CSV data with the 5.1.03 firmware. Please contact support for assistance performing Hyper-V restores with this agent. This will be fixed in an upcoming firmware release.
- For the Linux agent, any filename that contains characters that are not valid UTF-8 will be skipped during backups. (Bug id BNBS-8787)