Photo

New Windows and Linux agent BETA TEST

windows linux agent

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
215 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Paxton

Ben Paxton

Technical Delivery Manager

• Product Managers
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Barracuda Networks would like to invite current Barracuda Backup customers to participate in an early access beta test of our newest Linux and Windows agents, which will be included with an upcoming firmware release.

In order to participate in the beta test you must currently have a BBS with firmware 5.1.03 or newer.

There are essentially two options for this beta.
Option 1 is an early beta of the entire 5.3 firmware. 5.3 is a new feature release and will support the following new technologies:

• Windows Server 2012 with ReFS and deduplicated NTFS volumes
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2012
  • Microsoft Exchange 2013 database and Message Level backups
  • Microsoft Hyper-V 2012 and Hyper-V Cluster Shared Volumes for Windows Server 2008 (not 2012)
  • Barracuda Backup Agent for LInux including open file and extended file attribute support

Additionally there are various performance improvements and bug fixes over 5.1.03 in the 5.3 firmware.

If you are interested in upgrading your backup server to 5.3 please comment on this thread and a member of the product management team will contact you to facilitate the upgrade.

Options 2 is just the new Barracuda Backup agent for Windows and Linux with out the firmware update. The Windows agent provides most of the functionality of the 5.3 firmware with the exception of Microsoft SQL 2012 support. This first iteration of the Barracuda Backup Agent for Linux supports File System backups and will restore file attributes/permissions. This beta agent supports Linux distributions that are based on RedHat, Debian, or Ubuntu and have been released since 2005.

You can find the latest agent builds here: https://copy.com/UcVMAwyyGJZT

We would like to encourage customers using the beta agent or firmware to first seek support on this forum thread which will also act as a knowledge base for bugs and common questions.

The following are known bugs or issues that are important to take into account when installing the beta agent(s).

• The core agent database has been changed in this build. This means the first backup with the new agent will require an agent database rebuild. Additionally the new agent is capturing more metadata for individual files than previous agents as a result you will see reports with more modified data than previous backups. These changes can also significantly increase the backup window, however it should only be required for the first backup.
  • There are limitations to restoring Hyper-V CSV data with the 5.1.03 firmware. Please contact support for assistance performing Hyper-V restores with this agent. This will be fixed in an upcoming firmware release.
  • For the Linux agent, any filename that contains characters that are not valid UTF-8 will be skipped during backups. (Bug id BNBS-8787)

#2 Ryan Collier

Ryan Collier
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Good Morning -

I switched a couple of servers over to this new agent and are seeing a couple of interesting things. I have two DC's, one with the old agent and one with the new agent... When the BBS kicked it off, apparently it caused the 5.1 agent to not start (Agent - Error during backup initialization - April 16 2013 8:01pm EDT). After every backup with the new agent, I receive a report (Agent - Error during backup selection - April 16 2013 4:06pm EDT).

#3 Ben Paxton

Ben Paxton

• Product Managers
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Just to be clear, you're having problems with the 5.1 agents but NOT the 5.2 agents?

The agents are independent of the BBS and each othe, so one agent shouldn't have any effect on the other. Can you verify that the 5.1 agents are running? I would suggest checking to make sure the service is running and testing the connectivity from the control panel just to verify that they respond.

#4 David Waller

David Waller
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Is there any plan to support bare metal restores for Linux with this new agent?

#5 Ben Paxton

Ben Paxton

• Product Managers
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Linux BMR is a development goal, but not for the first iteration of the agent.

#6 Ryan Collier

Ryan Collier
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

Hey Ben - Recycled the box and it works fine... On a box with Exchange 2013 I get an error report after each backup. ""Agent - Error during backup selection"

#7 Ben Paxton

Ben Paxton

• Product Managers
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

Exchange 2013 requires firmware components that aren't available yet. I would expect you to get those errors at this stage.

#8 Ben Paxton

Ben Paxton

• Product Managers
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

I've updated the download link above to include the most recent build of both the linux and Windows agents. You'll noticed that the version number went from 5.2 to 5.3. If you're using the 5.2 agent, please download this new build and update your current version.

Hey Ben - Recycled the box and it works fine... On a box with Exchange 2013 I get an error report after each backup. ""Agent - Error during backup selection"

My previous comment was wrong, the agent should not require a firmware component in order to backup Exchange 2013. This new agent build should work with Exchange 2013 however. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

#9 Ryan Collier

Ryan Collier
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hey Ben - The hyperlink still takes you to the old 5.2 agent, but if you copy the link and paste it into the browser you are good.. Downloading and trying the new agent now.

#10 Ben Paxton

Ben Paxton

• Product Managers
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hey Ben - The hyperlink still takes you to the old 5.2 agent, but if you copy the link and paste it into the browser you are good.. Downloading and trying the new agent now.

Thanks for the heads up. It should be fixed now.

#11 Ryan Collier

Ryan Collier
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

No problems running the new agent. Still receiving " Agent - Error during backup selection - April 30 2013 12:29pm EDT"

#12 Ryan Collier

Ryan Collier
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Hold a sec.. I think the upgrade to 5.3 didn't go or the Barracuda downgraded the agent. Still shows as rev 5.2 in add/remove programs.

#13 Ryan Collier

Ryan Collier
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Ok so.. .its looks like the 5.3 agent is still branded as 5.2 -82926

#14 Ryan Collier

Ryan Collier
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

So Ben - I put the new agent 5.3, (technically 5.2) on another Exchange 2013 and the backup went off without a hitch. On the machine that is throwing the "Error during backup selection", I believe it is/was trying to backup a drive the windows backup had full control over because Barracuda didn't handle exchange 2013 at the time. Even though I removed the backup job and the drive I think that the agent still held onto the disk signature in the database to try and backup. I uninstalled the agent and manually removed the Barracuda structure which deleted the database. I have kicked off another backup to see if things clear up on this machine.

#15 Ryan Collier

Ryan Collier
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Well.. That didn't clear up the error. Will support work with me on this issue or not since its beta?

#16 Ben Paxton

Ben Paxton

• Product Managers
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

Well.. That didn't clear up the error. Will support work with me on this issue or not since its beta?

Yes, but I'd like to avoid having you speak with a tier 1 tech. I'll have a case opened and have a tier 2 reach out to you this morning.

#17 Ryan Collier

Ryan Collier
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

Hey Ben, The gentlemen reached out to me on Wednesday to help, I was wondering if you know if he found anything out? Also it looks like the agent is possibly acting funny with Exchange after the first full backup and incremental. The date is not updating for the last incremental unlike the other exchange server.

#18 Ryan Hann

Ryan Hann
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Ryan,

I will contact you shortly.

#19 Thaddeus Brown

Thaddeus Brown
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

Is there a listing somewhere of the current bugs being worked on for the Linux Beta agent? I am thinking of trying out the agent on a Red Hat sever about a week or so away from production to see how it performs. At the moment I am using the SSH method to perform backups. However I would like to see what is known not to work to see if this is feasible.

#20 Eric Suger

Eric Suger
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Does the new 5.3 agent support Windows 2012 Hyper-V backups/restore?