• This topic is locked This topic is locked
215 replies to this topic

#21 Ben Paxton

Ben Paxton

Technical Delivery Manager

• Product Managers
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Does the new 5.3 agent support Windows 2012 Hyper-V backups/restore?

Yes, as long as you're not using Cluster Shared Volumes. We're releasing support for 2008 R2 CSV's but Microsoft changed how they do CSV's in 2012 and we aren't able to support them yet.

#22 Andy Jensen

Andy Jensen

BBS

• Product Managers
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

Apologies to everyone who has been waiting. On Wednesday morning we will have a beta 5.3 firmware version available to customers participating in beta testing in this forum. The following functionality will be available in that firmware:

SQL 2012 Backup and Restore. With the new agent, Barracuda Backup will be interfacing with VSS instead of the legacy VDI connector.
Exchange 2013 - both with the backup agent and message level backup.
Server 2012 - with support for ReFS and deduplicated storage.
Hyper-V 2012 & Cluster Shared Volume

The new Linux agent will be incorporated into this build as well, though the functionality will not be significantly different than the agent only release we made available to customers on this list.

If you would like to try this new functionality, please go ahead and post to the forum and let us know. We'll contact you directly and get you the new firmware.

#23 Ryan Collier

Ryan Collier
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

Please contact me. It seems like Exchange 2013 is already working... Is there something different now with the agent that is changing in this newest build? On the top of this thread the so called 5.3 is really installed as 5.2-rel... Some understanding of this would be great also.

Thanks!
Ryan

#24 Daby Cheng

Daby Cheng
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

I would like to participate the Beta testing 5.3 firmware in my box, please contact me.

Thanks, Daby

#25 Eric Suger

Eric Suger
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Please included me in the beta test for 5.3

#26 Camille Kapoor

Camille Kapoor
  • Moderators
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

Ryan & Daby - I have sent you Private Messages to start the process.

Please included me in the beta test for 5.3

Eric - Please PM me your serial so I can confirm you're on the correct firmware version.

#27 Anthony Sloan

Anthony Sloan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

I would like to download the beta

#28 Camille Kapoor

Camille Kapoor
  • Product Managers
  • 184 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

I would like to download the beta

Anthony, I've sent you a PM requesting your serial.

Camille Kapoor
Product Manager - Backup
Barracuda Networks.

#29 James Cox

James Cox
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

I just installed 5.3 yesterday and am having a problem with SQL 2012. I have two servers running in the new AlwaysOn mode. I can connect to either machine however, the SQL instance does not appear in the backup source. I also tried connecting to the virtual instance with no luck either. I found an old thread about adding the instance to the bbconfig file but that didn't help either. What else might I try?

Jim

#30 Eric Suger

Eric Suger
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

I have setup a test Windows 2012 server and installed the 5.3 Backup Agent (Beta). After it is installed, I run the setup.exe on the server and it says that I have 5.200-rel-82926 installed. Once I connect the server to the barracuda server, the server “upgrades” the agent on the Windows 2012 machine to 5.1.00-rel-83335.

This sounds like the Barracuda server is over writing the existing beta agent, so I can’t test Windows 2012 backups.

How do I setup the server agent not to be overwritten?

Note: Barracuda Server is version 5.2.01.58611

#31 Eric Suger

Eric Suger
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

I just installed 5.3 yesterday and am having a problem with SQL 2012. I have two servers running in the new AlwaysOn mode. I can connect to either machine however, the SQL instance does not appear in the backup source. I also tried connecting to the virtual instance with no luck either. I found an old thread about adding the instance to the bbconfig file but that didn't help either. What else might I try?

Jim

JIM - Doublecheck that your backup agent isn't being downgraded like in my instance. That may explain the SQL 2012 backup issue you have been experiencing.

#32 panderson

panderson
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Both Jim and Eric need more recent builds. Unfortunately, the firmware 5.1.01 contains an agent with a newer build date (which is what we use to determine if it should be upgraded or not). So a fresh build of the 5.3 agent should take care of that.

#33 Eric Suger

Eric Suger
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

Both Jim and Eric need more recent builds. Unfortunately, the firmware 5.1.01 contains an agent with a newer build date (which is what we use to determine if it should be upgraded or not). So a fresh build of the 5.3 agent should take care of that.

I downloaded the agent from this forum, so hopefully they post an updated agent soon.

#34 Andy Jensen

Andy Jensen

BBS

• Product Managers
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

I have setup a test Windows 2012 server and installed the 5.3 Backup Agent (Beta). After it is installed, I run the setup.exe on the server and it says that I have 5.200-rel-82926 installed. Once I connect the server to the barracuda server, the server “upgrades” the agent on the Windows 2012 machine to 5.1.00-rel-83335.

This sounds like the Barracuda server is over writing the existing beta agent, so I can’t test Windows 2012 backups.

How do I setup the server agent not to be overwritten?

Note: Barracuda Server is version 5.2.01.58611

Eric - very clearly we have a versioning issue. To be clear, it sounds like you are on our 5.2 EA firmware and trying to backup win2k12 with what we would now call a 5.3 agent (though it is showing up as 5.200-rel-82926). I'll get a new agent posted to this forum ASAP.

#35 Andy Jensen

Andy Jensen

BBS

• Product Managers
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

The link at the top of the post now has the newest agent build. Last five digits should be 83478. For now, you can ignore what comes before that -- it still displays as a 5.2 agent. We'll get that fixed as soon as we can.

#36 Andy Jensen

Andy Jensen

BBS

• Product Managers
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Jim

Jim - we may need to get a support case opened for you. I'll contact you outside this thread.

#37 Eric Suger

Eric Suger
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

The link at the top of the post now has the newest agent build. Last five digits should be 83478. For now, you can ignore what comes before that -- it still displays as a 5.2 agent. We'll get that fixed as soon as we can.

I have downloaded the new agent version, and confirmed that it has been installed. However, whenever I attach it to the Barracuda backup server it keeps coming back with a status of "Status: Backup Agent software is currently being upgraded. Please try again later.".

I have checked the local agent and it hasn't been upgraded or downgraded, nor do I see any kind of installation activity within the Task Manager.

Any ideas?

#38 James Cox

James Cox
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

Andy, it looks like everything is in place but I still can't 'see' the SQL instances. Cycling the BB service and uninstalling/reinstalling the agent didn't work either.

Jim

#39 panderson

panderson
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Does the new 5.3 agent support Windows 2012 Hyper-V backups/restore?

Yes, for non-CSV and non-fileshare backed VMs only. CSV will probably come first, then fileshare backed VMs. I don't know how soon 2012 CSV and fileshare backups will be available.

#40 panderson

panderson
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Andy, it looks like everything is in place but I still can't 'see' the SQL instances. Cycling the BB service and uninstalling/reinstalling the agent didn't work either.

Jim

Jim - my best guess is that the agent is not new enough - we'll try to get you a newer version (what Andy gave you is what we built the last time we did a full firmware build, but that appears to be a few weeks old at this point).