windows linux agent

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
215 replies to this topic

#41 Jeroen van Drongelen

Jeroen van Drongelen
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

Apologies to everyone who has been waiting. On Wednesday morning we will have a beta 5.3 firmware version available to customers participating in beta testing in this forum. The following functionality will be available in that firmware:

SQL 2012 Backup and Restore. With the new agent, Barracuda Backup will be interfacing with VSS instead of the legacy VDI connector.
Exchange 2013 - both with the backup agent and message level backup.
Server 2012 - with support for ReFS and deduplicated storage.
Hyper-V 2012 & Cluster Shared Volume

The new Linux agent will be incorporated into this build as well, though the functionality will not be significantly different than the agent only release we made available to customers on this list.

If you would like to try this new functionality, please go ahead and post to the forum and let us know. We'll contact you directly and get you the new firmware.

Please contact me for the new 5.3 firmware so we have Exchange 2013 support.

Jeroen.

#42 Camille Kapoor

Camille Kapoor
  • Product Managers
  • 184 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:30 AM

Jeroen, I have sent you a private message so that I can add you to the list.

Camille Kapoor
Product Manager - Backup
Barracuda Networks.

#43 Ben Paxton

Ben Paxton

Technical Delivery Manager

• Product Managers
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

We will be checking on the latest agent build this morning. We should have an update before lunch time (EDT) today.

#44 Eric Suger

Eric Suger
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Please be aware that I was able to successfully backup and restore Windows 2012 Hyper-V using the new Barracuda Agent 5.3

#45 Andy Jensen

Andy Jensen

BBS

• Product Managers
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Please be aware that I was able to successfully backup and restore Windows 2012 Hyper-V using the new Barracuda Agent 5.3

Eric - I don't think new firmware will interfere with that. Biggest goal right now is getting the SQL 2012 backups working properly for everyone.

#46 Eric Suger

Eric Suger
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

I understand. I was informing the community that the Backup Agent 5.3 will allow you to backup Windows 2012 Hyper-V. This isn't supported under the current 5.2 agent. I wasn't commenting on the SQL 2012 backups.

#47 Andy Jensen

Andy Jensen

BBS

• Product Managers
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

We have a new firmware going through QA right now. By the end of the day, we'll have a new agent for sure and, assuming things go well through QA, a new firmware as well.

#48 Andy Jensen

Andy Jensen

BBS

• Product Managers
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

I understand. I was informing the community that the Backup Agent 5.3 will allow you to backup Windows 2012 Hyper-V. This isn't supported under the current 5.2 agent. I wasn't commenting on the SQL 2012 backups.

Correct. There are two options right now for folks that want to participate in the beta testing.

1) If you have 5.1.03 or a more recent release, you can install a 5.3 agent. It will work with that firmware and will give you the following capabilities:
a) Linux support w/permissions
B) Exchange 2013 information store
c) Hyper-V Clusters for 2008
d) Hyper-V 2012
e) *Most* Win Server 2012 support.

2) The 5.3.0 firmware provides all that + SQL 2012 + full win server 2012 support.

#49 Andy Jensen

Andy Jensen

BBS

• Product Managers
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

Two updates.

1) The link at the top of the forum to the 5.3 agent for Windows has been updated. New agent build ends 83646. Anyone who is using the windows agent but has not updated firmware should grab and install this new one.

2) Anyone who is on the 5.3 firmware should have a notification in their user interface that a new 5.3 build is available. Due to an issue with the upgrade process, we are going to handle the upgrade this time. Next build, you will be able to upgrade yourselves.

I know a couple folks have had difficulty with SQL 2012 backup config. I opened a support case for Jim. Please continue to let us know about problems as they arise and we'll get support cases open and get the development team directly involved.

#50 Anthony Sloan

Anthony Sloan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

getting "Error during backup selection" on each of my servers. Agent build ends in 83646 and firmware is at 5.3.00.59090

#51 James Cox

James Cox
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Installed and verified the new agent but I have the same issue. The backup source does not list the sql instance at all.

#52 Ryan Collier

Ryan Collier
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Need some help.. Keep getting "Agent - Connection to agent was lost" when backing up SQL.

#53 Camille Kapoor

Camille Kapoor
  • Product Managers
  • 184 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

Just to update everyone who has listed issues so far.

getting "Error during backup selection" on each of my servers. Agent build ends in 83646 and firmware is at 5.3.00.59090

Andy - This should now be addressed as per our correspondance and your backups should be running as expected. Please let us know if otherwise.

Installed and verified the new agent but I have the same issue. The backup source does not list the sql instance at all.

James - I understand you already have a case open with Support and will continue to work with them to determine the cause.

Need some help.. Keep getting "Agent - Connection to agent was lost" when backing up SQL.

Ryan - I'm just looking into this and will update you with a Case number so that you can work with our Support Team.

Camille Kapoor
Product Manager - Backup
Barracuda Networks.

#54 Stathis Iasonos

Stathis Iasonos
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

I also having the same issue - Connection to agent was lost. Unfortunately the page times out when I click on Backup Reports then Details so I can't give you anymore info on the error.

Also the same server that has the issue takes forever to finish its backups.

Thank you

#55 IconicIT

IconicIT
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

HI All

We have upgraded our Barracuda to the latest firmware version in the hope that we could backup our SQL 2012 Servers. However, all was fine before the upgrade and new client (except sql not backing up) but now we have random servers just timing out- the backup starts and then fails with "error connection to host lost".

The strange thing is that there is no consistency - all servers have AV installed - and windows firewall enabled - we have tested both with (working before) and without. For example we have 2 x Sharepoint servers with identical configurations- one will backup fine the other fails.

Sorry guys / gals this is our only means of backup and we need this sorting ASAP - not to mention the fact I have to pay the bill - please please can someone help as I feel rather nervous right now.

I will happily post any logs or converse with anyone who has had similar issues or with the support team to get this fixed. Consistent errors and failures I can deal with - random does not help the cause.

#56 Ben Paxton

Ben Paxton

Technical Delivery Manager

• Product Managers
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

HI All

We have upgraded our Barracuda to the latest firmware version in the hope that we could backup our SQL 2012 Servers. However, all was fine before the upgrade and new client (except sql not backing up) but now we have random servers just timing out- the backup starts and then fails with "error connection to host lost".

The strange thing is that there is no consistency - all servers have AV installed - and windows firewall enabled - we have tested both with (working before) and without. For example we have 2 x Sharepoint servers with identical configurations- one will backup fine the other fails.

Sorry guys / gals this is our only means of backup and we need this sorting ASAP - not to mention the fact I have to pay the bill - please please can someone help as I feel rather nervous right now.

I will happily post any logs or converse with anyone who has had similar issues or with the support team to get this fixed. Consistent errors and failures I can deal with - random does not help the cause.

I'll have a case opened and have someone in support reach out to you. Please keep in mind that 5.3 is still in the early beta stage and issues are to be expected. We will do our best to help resolve all of the issues we find in a timely manner.

#57 James Boydell

James Boydell
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

I am recieving the error "Agent - Connection to agent was lost" while trying to back up ONLY the system state on a PDC running Server 2012.

I am able to do message level backups, system state and some files on our Exchange 2013 server running Server 2012.

#58 Camille Kapoor

Camille Kapoor
  • Product Managers
  • 184 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:26 AM

I am recieving the error "Agent - Connection to agent was lost" while trying to back up ONLY the system state on a PDC running Server 2012.

I am able to do message level backups, system state and some files on our Exchange 2013 server running Server 2012.

James, I've generated a case and you will be contacted by Technical Support shortly.

Camille Kapoor
Product Manager - Backup
Barracuda Networks.

#59 Tony Higgins

Tony Higgins
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

Hello,

The backup for our server which is running server 2008 R2 is taking a very long time. I aborted it after more than 9 hours. It seems to be backing up more data thaen needed.

The SQL 2012 backup keeps giving me the error: "Agent - Error during backup initialization".

#60 Andy Jensen

Andy Jensen

BBS

• Product Managers
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hello,

The backup for our server which is running server 2008 R2 is taking a very long time. I aborted it after more than 9 hours. It seems to be backing up more data thaen needed.

The SQL 2012 backup keeps giving me the error: "Agent - Error during backup initialization".

Tony - You should let it run through completion. The first backup after you install the new firmware may take a while. Our agent is re-examining all your data because of a bug we had that wasn't properly capturing changes to permissions if the file data itself didn't change. The more files you have, the longer it will take. I.e., size of the data source matters little, but number of files can matter a lot.

When we release GA, we are going to make sure this is more streamlined for the general populace. This is something we should have announced when we released the beta firmware. Apologies as that was my mistake.