Photo

backup causes server reboot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 tuvia

tuvia
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

On a windows 2003 server (not the main database server) whenever any drive is backup up in any way after anywhere from 20-60 gig of data the (remote being backup up) server reboots.

All relevant windows patches are in place per my IT person. There are no entries in the windows event viewer on client or server.

The backup just marks the remaining unbackedup files as "not attempted" and goes on. By the time the verify starts, the remote server has rebooted. So I get half-backups with no log errors other than a huge amount of "not attempted" files.

#2 tuvia

tuvia
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Update: now sometimes the master server reboots instead of the remote server. There are no relevant entries in the Event log.

#3 tuvia

tuvia
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

the master only rebooted once, 15 backups and 14 of them the remote rebooted. Never at the same point in the backup. Last time at 23 of 28 Gig. This is crazy. So far YSB has only been able to back up one of my servers. (all windows 2003).

#4 tuvia

tuvia
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

Trying to detect any pattern, it might be the crashes/reboot occurs during backup of large files (like a 2-4 gig dvd iso). Not completely sure if this is really a pattern or not.

#5 Matt Orme

Matt Orme
  • Moderators
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hello Tuvia,

I have a couple of questions about the machine we're backing up.

1. Any chance you have any other backup application installed to any of the machines included in the backup?
2. Is there any anti-virus application running on these machines?
3. When you reference the "remote" server, are you talking about a client machine that's in the same physical location and on the same network?
4. What type of backup device are you using?

Yosemite should not be doing anything that would cause any machine included in your backup domain to be rebooted.

#6 tuvia

tuvia
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

For lurkers: I replied via email along with log files.

#7 Matt Orme

Matt Orme
  • Moderators
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

Tuvia,

Thanks for the logs. There's no clear smoking gun. There did appear to be remnants of other backup solutions still on the machine, but based on your explanation, I'm assuming they are just remnants and not active. I'm going to get a support case started and hand the logging along with analysis over to one of the Tier 2 escalation technicians here to review. You should hear from a support team member today.