Jump to content


Photo

Unable to import media/restore catalog.

tandberg lto3 media data error 4039 import restore catalog

Best Answer Leonardo, 08 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Just to confirm that after several hours I succesfully import media.

Go to the full post


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Iain Coleman

Iain Coleman
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hi,

We recently had a problem where our database became corrupted so I was advised by support to create a new clean database and restore our catalog from one of our backup tapes.

The problem is when we try to import a tape or restore our catalog I get the error "4039 - media data error detected".

Obvious, right? A problem with the tape or the drive.

Unfortunately it's not quite that simple.

I tried several different tapes and had exactly the same result. It throws the error up almost immediately after starting the restore job. So I cleaned the drive - still no good.

I ruled out the tapes as being the problem because we're not using old worn-out tapes and the problem is happening with all of them. So I started turning my attention to the drive. We have a Tandberg Data LTO3-HH external SCSI drive. I downloaded the diagnostic tools from Tandberg (TDTools) and also another utility from HP that Tandberg themselves suggested I use. I ran the full set of tests several times with both utilities and the drive passed with flying colours. I was getting throughput of over 3GB per minute which is exactly what I expected to see.

The setup we have is our Yosemite master server is running on a Ubuntu 12.04 VM hosted under VMWare ESXi 5.0. The tape drive is connected to the VM as a SCSI Pass-through device. I wondered if this configuration was causing some compatibility issues so I removed the drive, installed Ubuntu natively on a stand-alone machine (eliminating VMWare) and conected the drive directly to that machine. I even changed the model of SCSI card I was using to eliminate that possibility as well. I installed the same version of Yosemite that we had been using on our network (9.1.02) and attempted to do a catalog restore. Still no good, exactly the same problem!

I've eliminated as much as I can to resolve this problem. The only thing I can't swap out is the drive itself because we don't have another one available. I started thinking that this could be a software problem so I upgraded to the latest version of YSB but again, no luck.

I have a ticket open with support at the moment and they've referred it to the developers and I am waiting for a response. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they managed to get around it. Does anyone have the same tape drive as us? Have you tried to do a catalog restore or media import?

It's worth pointing out that a normal backup job with full verify will complete successfully and I am also able to restore files from tape if it is already in the catalog. It is only importing media or restoring the catalog that is not working. Again this makes me think that the tape drive is ok.

If anyone can help at all that would be appreciated.

Cheers [img]https://community.barracudanetworks.com/forum/public/style_emoticons//smile.png[/img]

#2 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hi,

I have the same issue and I have a very similar setup, Ubuntu 12.04, ESXI 5 host, Yosemite 10.2, and HP StorageWorks LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 SAS EH958A. Has anyone know how to succesfully import and restore catalog?

 

Thanks in advance,

Regards,



#3 Matt Orme

Matt Orme
  • Moderators
  • 463 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Leonardo,

We have the same drive in our lab, and importing media containing a catalog and restoring it is a standard test that is included in all pre-release testing.

Could you try something.

Select the device tab on the administrator. Drill down on the machine to which your tape drive is attached. Right click the tape drive itself and select the 'Restore Catalog' option.

You may not see that option, but if you do, give it a try. Ill be back in the oofficeThursday and will attempt to replicate the issue you're encountering and will circle back with the support engineer handling your case.

#4 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

I can't restore the catalog right now (it shows the option), I'm already using a new catalog. But I need to import media and it keeps showing the error "4039 - media data error detected". Is a new tape drive, we bought it no longer than 2-3 months. When I do a restore of a Mssql database, or an entire directory I have no problem.

But, I installed a Windows Server 2003 on the same ESXI Host, and when I try to import media, it completes without error.

 

Thanks!



#5 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

Today I set the External SAS Controller in passthrough mode, and it seems importing the first media without problem.
This will take some time, I'll let you know if it has finished succesfully or not.



#6 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:08 PM   Best Answer

Just to confirm that after several hours I succesfully import media.