Linux DR Exclude files Bare Metal Restore Red Hat RHEL6

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Solomon

Dan Solomon
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Primary purpose for backing up a RHEL6 Linux workstation is DR using bare metal restore process.
Nightly backups are set to backup the server except for a couple of open application files that are backed up by other means.

Is there a recommended best practice so that the backup jobs do not report 'failures' and the DR still works correctly?

Each night the report shows 'failures' in backing up different files like:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects

/Network/ProdSVR.mrk.com.au/File Systems/var/log/sa
Error 3020: Object not found Bkp: sa05
Error 3020: Object not found Bkp: sar05

-or-

Objects

/Network/ProdSVR.mrk.com.au/File Systems/dev/.udev/watch
Error 3020: Object not found Bkp: 50

/Network/ProdSVR.mrk.com.au/File Systems/root
Error 3020: Object not found Bkp: .xauthdlFzut

/Network/ProdSVR.mrk.com.au/File Systems/tmp/orbit-root
Error 3020: Object not found Bkp: linc-14de-0-571ca81a5b232
Error 3020: Object not found Bkp: linc-14e6-0-3be5f8ee56269

#2 Matt Orme

Matt Orme
  • Moderators
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

As far as I am aware, there is no available option to not report an inability to backup a file that has been included in your backup selection. The only solution I could think of would be to remove the files in question from the selection list of your backup job, and then ensure you're able to DR the machine as a test. I'm certainly not a RHEL admin, but are the files being missed required for the successful boot of the machine?

They appear to all be log/temp files that are constantly updated, and there unavailable during backup.

#3 Dan Solomon

Dan Solomon
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

As far as I am aware, there is no available option to not report an inability to backup a file that has been included in your backup selection. The only solution I could think of would be to remove the files in question from the selection list of your backup job, and then ensure you're able to DR the machine as a test. I'm certainly not a RHEL admin, but are the files being missed required for the successful boot of the machine?

They appear to all be log/temp files that are constantly updated, and there unavailable during backup.

I agree with what you said about the files being log/temp files. I was just looking for a comprehensive list of what to exclude.
Are there any threshold settings for marking a job as a success/failure?

#4 Matt Orme

Matt Orme
  • Moderators
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

I agree with what you said about the files being log/temp files. I was just looking for a comprehensive list of what to exclude.
Are there any threshold settings for marking a job as a success/failure?

There currently are not. Though, I could see that as a valuable addition. I'll speak with our developers and see if I can get that submitted as a feature to be included in a future release.