DCHP Relay DHCP Relay

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Davis

Robert Davis
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

I am wondering if there is a way to use a server 2012 dhcp server for all my vlans using a dhcp relay or ip helper in the firewall so i don't have to use the dhcp server that is built into the firewall?

#2 Terry Kakavros

Terry Kakavros
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

Did you find out if the x300 is capably of dhcp relay?

#3 Maglaya Pajar

Maglaya Pajar
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA 95138 | Teams: Firewall, NG Firewall, Web Filter, Web Security, Link Balancer, Load Balancer, Application Firewall

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Hello! 

Currently it is not available for the Barracuda Firewall but a feature request is already on the Product Team's table and the number will be BNF-2936 in which you can reference when you call or email our support team to check and see the progress of the feature. 

Thank you,

Maglaya Pajar

#4 Christopher Delaney

Christopher Delaney
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

Is there an update to this issue? I just purchased a x300 and need the DHCP server on my LAN to distribute addresses to my Voice VLAN.

#5 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

Bump and semi hijack,

We are evaluating an x200 and I am a bit confused by this subject. Is the DHPC service on these firewall meant to replace the Windows Server DHCP service, or merely intended to assign addresses out to users connecting in via VPN?

With our current aging ISA Server 2006 RRAS handles the VPN connections and requests addresses from our networks separate Server 2008r2 DHCP server. Obviously with Maglaya's response this cannot be facilitated with the B'Cuda firewall.

#6 Mario Pirker

Mario Pirker
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:54 AM

Hi Michael,

the DHCP Service on the Barracuda Firewall is a full DHCP server being capable of assigning IP addresses to your clients that are sitting in your LAN or connected by WiFi (not just VPN users). However it is not possible to use the DHCP Server as a DHCP Relay Agent that forwards the DHCP requests to another DHCP server.

Best regards,

Mario

#7 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

Hi Michael,

the DHCP Service on the Barracuda Firewall is a full DHCP server being capable of assigning IP addresses to your clients that are sitting in your LAN or connected by WiFi (not just VPN users). However it is not possible to use the DHCP Server as a DHCP Relay Agent that forwards the DHCP requests to another DHCP server.

Best regards,

Mario

OK, so in that case, if somebody intends to allow user access the network via VPN as well as over the LAN, then they have to activate the DHCP capabilities on the firewall, in which case the Windows Server DHCP service becomes unnecessary?

#8 Mario Pirker

Mario Pirker
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

Hi Michael,

that is correct. In case your clients needs an IP address, they can also be handed out by the Barracuda Firewall.

Regards,

Mario Pirker

#9 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that.

#10 Mario Pirker

Mario Pirker
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:35 AM

Hi Michael,

why is that? In case you don't want to use the Barracuda Firewall for assigning IP addresses, you can continue to use your Microsoft DHCP Server of course.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mario

#11 Michael Manning

Michael Manning
  • Members
  • 270 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

We sent the X200 back and are waiting for an X300. (X200 was too small for number of clients, reseller undersized). I'll just have to wait for the X300 to come in and play with it some to see how I really feel about it. I guess it's all 'change management' on my part as my boss is fond of saying.

I'm used to the old ISA server which relayed requests for addresses to the DHCP server when a VPN client would connect. Obviously the B'cuda firewalls don't do this, so I'll actually have to think more than I had hoped when setting this thing up.