• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Brichetto

Matt Brichetto
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hello,

I recently deployed Barracuda Web Filter as inline deployment with firmware version 7.0.1. One of the major issues that my users have been reporting to is that either certain websites load slow or they timeout with a Barraucda timeout error connection of 104 or something along those lines. Specifically one issue they are accessing is their company website which is hosted outside of their network. If I were to visit their company website outside of the network is loads just fine. I have talked to Barracuda's tech support about three different times regarding this one website issue. In the end, I actually just exempted the IP address all together from the filter and it still loads slow. Essentially all three different tech support people I talked really didn't know why the website would load slow. My main question is has anyone really had problems with websites loading extremely slow or even having one of the Barracuda timeout errors after they deployed their web filter. I am running very short on ideas. It could be another piece of equipment in the traffic flow, but I wanted to see if it possibly a setting or something I could be missing in the web filter. 

#2 Joe Pinkston

Joe Pinkston
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

If you are deployed inline, I would suggest two things...

First, make sure your WAN port on the web filter and the port on your firewall have hard coded speed-duplex. I am not sure of the 7.0 firmware, but on 6.0, this still had to be done by Barracuda support.

Secondly, I would turn off content caching (Advanced -> Content Cache). It is a recommended setting, but I have always had slow response times with that feature enabled. If you do not want to disable it, you can clear the cache. This will help for a while (if it is indeed the issue), however it will come back as the content cache begins to fill again.

Joe Pinkston
Sr. Systems Engineer & VP, GSD

#3 ryatwork

ryatwork
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

I'm actually starting to experience this same issue. I have websites that don't load in a timely manner and time out. I have a forward proxy deployment. I get different results depending on the browser but FF seems to be the most resilient of Chrome and IE. When I take the Web Filters out of the loop and use my custom squid proxy or straight out the problem goes away. I haven't contacted support yet but was curious if you came up with anything yet Matt?