message level backup exchange

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Latimer

Kevin Latimer
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

I have a unique situation where it would be useful if the message level backup could be restored as a .pst instead of the folder structure with actual emails.  While that is useful we would like to have outlook run an import and import only missing emails without creating duplicates.  While we can do this manually it would save quite a bit of time to have it in the .pst format.  

#2 Network Team

Network Team
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

It's an extra step, but when I need to do that I restore the mail to a "dummy" mailbox.  That dummy mailbox can then be exported to a .PST.

#3 Joshua Kolka

Joshua Kolka
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor MI

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

Kevin,

How often do you need to perform the restores to a PST?  If it is frequent you may want to look at a BMA.  This will give you additional functionality and the ability to export to a PST and keep folder structure.

#4 anamitra sharma

anamitra sharma
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:10 AM

If you want to restore Outlook messages backup in PST then simple convert your Outlook MSG files to PST format and backup them into Outlook.  More More details - http://www.birdiesoftware.com/msg-to-pst/

#5 Justin Morse

Justin Morse
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

+1 

At some point, I would like to see native PST\Mailbox export options. Backing up the Database as well as having a secondary job for Mailboxes can add a lot of duplicate\unwanted usage. 

I work with a number of solutions offer an "exposed" method which allows you to mount an exposed backup point, then mount the .EDB using a recovery tool. Currently I find myself restoring the entire .EDB just to get a mailbox back, and that can become rather time consuming if you have a 500GB Database and not a lot of spare Production Storage. Restoring as a recovery Database just to grab a Mailbox can also be a bit of a nightmare. 

I've not tested this, but I would think if you are backing up an Exchange Server via VMware you could liveboot the VM and then mount the .EDB, but most of our Clients are not utilizing the Hypervisor API's due to storage requirements and contracts. Will need to give that a try. 

Sincerely, 

Justin