Linux speed agent

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

What sort of backup performace/speed are other people seeing when backing up Linux files/folders?  I have a mounted volume/folder that is about 900gb total.  Using a different vendors software and backing up to LTO4 tape takes about 3.5 hours.  The backup job that kicks off later in the day on the Barracuda 990 has been taking 12 hours to run.

I'd expect the disk solution to be faster than the tape...

#2 Matthew Schalles

Matthew Schalles
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

During the initial backup there are extra steps involved beyond just a backup. Each file part is hashed against two seperate algorithms to create a unique "fingerprint". If you have many small files this process can take a while to complete. However, the next backup will only be tracking changes and should complete in a shorter time than the tape backup

#3 Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

A large portion of the data is getting changed on a daily basis.  It's a san clone (emc snapview clone) of production data from another server.

Right now I'm still running a tape backup 3 hours before the barracuda backup kicks off, until this gets resolved.  The tape backup still finishes in 2.5 hours, or 30 minutes prior to the start of the barracuda's job. 

Someone in level 2 support is looking into it now...

#4 Mark Shanley

Mark Shanley
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:06 AM

Hi Aaron, 

I don't know if my answer will help you and I hope by now you have a good idea. I just installed a few backup agents yesterday on Linux. I have a new Barracuda Backup so all my backups are first time. The largest backup I have done so far was 25GB which took 3 hours. After that the backups went much faster but of course the data was less. Now I can see that I am backing up about 1GB every 6 min.

#5 Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:01 PM

I'm still having this issue.  I'm wondering if anyone else out there has installed an agent on Linux recently with good results?  10gb/hour is rather slow to me.