Photo

YSB Linux & Windows Compatability

Linux Windows

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Are Windows and Linux YSB backups interchangeable with each other?  I recently found an old server running Redhat that could have be used with our older autoloader which made me wonder if all these tapes I have that are spitting out unrecognized formats could have been made with the YSB Redhat version.

#2 Jim Peters

Jim Peters
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

Since the Linux landscape is a whole spectrum of kernel versions and over time YSB's versions of YSB have added or corrected issues for specific lines and editions, I'd be sure you understood as best you can what version of Redhat was used, if and when that version is listed as supported in the YSB release notes and whether your version of YSB is in place.  As with all software, the latest version is the best answer for support.

I can speak from personal experience that both the Cent/OS I use fedora 18 are happy to backup, but when I go to restore files, forget about fedora working at least when the target file system is in Windows.   Like you it was a copy of a long gone machine.  The errors were about meta data like ACLs in the Linux file system and not necessarily about the files or directory structure.

Wasn't important enough for me to build a virtual and try again.  

#3 Matt Orme

Matt Orme
  • Moderators
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

Joe,

There is no difference in the format we write to tape between Windows and Linux environments.

#4 Joe

Joe
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

Thanks.  I was thinking of firing it up to give those tapes one last chance in an attempt to locate a file from 3 years ago.  The previous IT staff was lazy and documented nothing, it just surprises me that I have 30 tapes all unrecognizable yet supposedly used with Yosemite. Thanks Jim for the info.