• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 System Administrator

System Administrator
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

I was recently asked to export all mail for a user.  Unfortunately the BMA dumps all the mail into a single folder in the .PST called Unfiled.  Rather unhelpful; it would be much better if it put all the messages into a proper folder structure in the .PST using the correct archive folders that it knows about.

#2 Wil Mefford

Wil Mefford
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

System Adminstrator,

What you say is true if  you the export the mail with an admin or auditor account. If you export the mail as a user, the folder structure is preseved. You can impersonate a user with admin account by going to the Basic tab/Search page and selecting the "Search As" option from the tools menu.

Best Regards,

Wil

#3 System Administrator

System Administrator
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

Hi Wil,

I had already tried this (from Basic Search page, Tools menu, Search As User, selected my personal user account) ... ran a Search ... from Tools menu, selected Export  ... it didn't work ... after the Task ran, the exported .PST file did not contain the mailbox folder structure.

That is to say ... it had all the "standard folders" such as Calendar, Inbox, Contacts, Tasks, etc ... but all the email messages end up in a single folder called:  Unfiled

Kind regards,

Steve.

#4 System Administrator

System Administrator
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:17 PM

Has there been any progress on this issue?  I noticed the following in one of the recent firmware updates:

• Fix: Folders were not included in PST exports starting in version 4.0. [BNMA-11652]

Hoping that this would fix this issue, I upgraded, tested again ...

Unfortunately no, all the Exported mail still ends up in a folder called Unfiled in the .PST file.

#5 Maxwell Lazaroff

Maxwell Lazaroff
  • Moderators
  • 545 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:57 AM

That bug fix should have taken care of it. Please call into support and we'll check it out.

Thanks,
Maxwell Lazaroff

Barracuda Message Archiver
Technical Delivery Manager

#6 Stephen Frost

Stephen Frost
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

So we eventually discovered the "magic sauce" which makes this work.

What does NOT work:  you cannot generate the correct .PST folder structure if you login as an Administrator and then choose Search As User (it will still place all the emails in the Unfiled folder)

What DOES work: 

(1) login as Administrator

(2) set the option to allow all search results to be exported (refer: Basic, Administration, Search Page Settings area)

(3) logout

(4) login as the user (this is a security issue, because you need their password!)

(5) export all items to .PST

#7 James Nelson

James Nelson
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:31 PM

I know this is an old thread, but its content is still important.  We are now exporting mail from our archiver (firmware - 5.1.1.018) and are running into the problem of not being able to export emails into the folder structure the users expect to see.  I tried the suggestion above from Stephan Frost and it did not work.  

I have been searching as the user and exporting mail into PST for users and it creates a folder called 'Unfiled' and put all emails into that folder.  No good.  

So then I found this thread and followed Stephen's steps.  Hey, there is a folder structure there that got exported!  But its not complete - folders are missing when comparing it to the Folders & Tags tab.  And, no good, there is a folder called 'Unfiled' and all the emails are in it.  All folders that are present from the user's folder structure are empty. 

Now that its 2018, is there a way to do this that works to get emails into their respective folders on export?

5.1.1.018 (

#8 Maxwell Lazaroff

Maxwell Lazaroff
  • Moderators
  • 545 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

Hi James,

Sorry you're having trouble. The mail should be in the correct folders, this should be working. I'd call in to Support and they can check out the databases and see if something is afoot.

Thanks,
Maxwell Lazaroff

Barracuda Message Archiver
Technical Delivery Manager

#9 Andrea Bonomi

Andrea Bonomi
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 04:48 AM

HI

the same problem with my user.

Open ticket 3 min ago.