Photo

Barracuda Spam Firewall 6.1.5.003

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Bartle

Ben Bartle
  • Moderators
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:31 PM

Barracuda Spam Firewall 6.1.5.003 is available to all customers as an Early Available release which includes a PFS (perfect forward secrecy) feature. 

This release also contains a switch to disable SSLv3 for smtp and disables SSLv3 for the web interface, which effectively mitigates the SSL POODLE issue, which was reported yesterday!

Ben Bartle

Product Manager - Web Security Gateway

Technical Marketing Engineer 

Content and Network Security @ Barracuda Networks

#2 Chris Zimmerman

Chris Zimmerman
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:06 PM

haven't seen it available ...  Still appears to only show 6.1.5.001 as available.

#3 David Goldsmith

David Goldsmith
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

Barracuda Spam Firewall 6.1.5.003 is available to all customers as an Early Available release which includes a PFS (perfect forward secrecy) feature. 

This release also contains a switch to disable SSLv3 for smtp and disables SSLv3 for the web interface, which effectively mitigates the SSL POODLE issue, which was reported yesterday!

Is it required to upgrade to 6.1.5.003 in order to disable SSLv3 or are there any ways to do that while staying on a general release firmware version?  We're currently on 6.1.2.003 and can upgrade to 6.1.4.001 if needed.  Saw some other posts where folks were having some SSL issues after upgrading to 6.1.5.001.

Thanks,

Dave

#4 Steve Dunn

Steve Dunn
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:03 AM

None of the appliances I administer show any new firmware versions since January - the two at the site I'm currently visiting, for instance, are running 5.1.3.007 (2014-01-15), and both show this as the "Latest General Release" and report "No Early Release Firmware Available".  Both are covered by current Energize subscriptions.  I don't have specific details available for ones at other sites, but they all also have current subscriptions and show no firmware newer than the same or similar.  Some are model 100, some are model 400.

All have shown, and been able to install, firmware updates in the past.  I'd like to upgrade them to current firmware, but they won't let me.

#5 Chris Zimmerman

Chris Zimmerman
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:29 AM

None of the appliances I administer show any new firmware versions since January - the two at the site I'm currently visiting, for instance, are running 5.1.3.007 (2014-01-15), and both show this as the "Latest General Release" and report "No Early Release Firmware Available".  Both are covered by current Energize subscriptions.  I don't have specific details available for ones at other sites, but they all also have current subscriptions and show no firmware newer than the same or similar.  Some are model 100, some are model 400.

All have shown, and been able to install, firmware updates in the past.  I'd like to upgrade them to current firmware, but they won't let me.

Steve,

I will place a guess that your serial number on the units is less than 200000.  I don't know what the cut off is, but I can tell you I've admin'd units with serial numbers in the 120000 range, and even with current EU, you can't upgrade past 5.1.3.007.  If you reach out to Barracuda, they will tell you that even though you have current EU, it isn't supported by the hardware version you have.  Their solution is for you to pay 75% of list to purchase a "hardware refresh" which will give you a brand new unit of the same model, and they will transfer your existing subscription to the new device.

The primary reason they want you to hardware refresh, is because new hardware versions come with faster CPU's, and more RAM.

Having said that, you can debate your feelings all day about the fact that you are paying for current EU, yet can't really take advantage of it.  

#6 Steve Dunn

Steve Dunn
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

Chris, thanks - I suspect you're right.  Both units at this site have serial numbers in the 14xxxx range.  The other units I administer are newer but I don't have access to them from here and can't check their serial numbers.

I suppose using virtual appliances might solve this since I can put those on as powerful a server as I like ... but the pricing on those is set high enough that it's only slightly cheaper than buying a brand new physical appliance every year, which doesn't make a lot of sense in many cases.

If it is indeed the case that there's a minimum serial number or hardware version required for certain firmware versions, the release notes really ought to say so.

#7 Jaybone

Jaybone
  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:29 PM

If you've kept IR current, they should give you a replacement for a unit that old at no charge.

edit: I don't mean that as a suggestion for Barracuda. I mean that if you've kept it up, you should call them, and you'll have a new unit the next morning, unless something's changed.

#8 netgear123

netgear123
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:44 AM

I am also facing the same problem of spamming when i used this firewall and didn't understand what should i do for this, I suppose using virtual appliances might solve this since I can put those on as powerful a server as I like...

Thanks,