Photo

Zip file management

ESS Zip Content Policies Postini

Best Answer Michelle Exner, 29 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

The only messages that an end user can not download is on seen as a virus. Other than that we allow user to download any blocked or quarantined or allowed message in the system.

If you wanted to block zip messages from coming into your network you would have to make a rule on your mail server to prevent these attachments from coming in.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Snyder

Chris Snyder
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBloomfield Hills, MI

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

I am the process of transitioning from Postini to Barracuda ESS. I am looking for suggestions to manage emails with zip file attachments.  We currently deliver them to a postmaster account and alert the recipient requiring them to request the release so we can review the message to make sure the message is legitimate.  Any thoughts on how to do this or something similar in ESS?  Thanks!

#2 Sam Boyster

Sam Boyster
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:32 AM

You can have ESS filter on .ZIP files and take action, one of which is to place it in 'Quarantine' status.  It would remain there (for one month) or until the owners takes action on their quarantined messages.

#3 Chris Snyder

Chris Snyder
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBloomfield Hills, MI

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:47 AM

Thanks Sam...wondering if there is a way to take action that will not allow the owner to take action on the message. (i.e. stop a user from releasing a message with "bad" zip file)  I am new to ESS so maybe my question isn't relevant because ESS does a better job than Postini when scanning attachments

#4 Michelle Exner

Michelle Exner

BSF / BESS Moderator

• Moderators
  • 397 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:33 PM   Best Answer

The only messages that an end user can not download is on seen as a virus. Other than that we allow user to download any blocked or quarantined or allowed message in the system.

If you wanted to block zip messages from coming into your network you would have to make a rule on your mail server to prevent these attachments from coming in.

Michelle Exner
Product Lead Support Engineer
Barracuda Email Security
(408) 342-5300