• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 georgio

georgio
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

Hi all, 

I think this is a beginners question but still very important. There are some other backup software that do not support well hardware encryption and hardware compression, barracuda claims both. Do I need to make some "special" tweaks top have them at the same time ? Is the OS not supported ? Is the Basic version crippled ? 

My setup

HP StorageWorks LTO-4 Ultrium 1760 SAS External Tape Drive

Fedora Linux 21

Yosemite Server Backup Basic 10.3.00

I tried the following:

1. No encryption , hardware compression (jpg + avi) --- all well compression 1.0:1 it was expected 

2. Hardware encryption , hardware compression (jpg + docs + xml + xls) --- jpgs around 50% expecting some compression but still compression 1.0:1 

3. No encryption , hardware compression (jpg + docs + xml + xls) --- jpgs around 50% expecting some compression but still compression 1.0:1 

It just looks like hardware compression is not even tried does not matter if hardware encryption is on or off. I understand that the 2.0:1 compression is a unicorn but still with simple zip docs are reduced to 30% and xml and html to 10%. 

Thank you 

#2 Matt Orme

Matt Orme
  • Moderators
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

While Fedora isn't explicitly supported, I wouldn't anticipate any issues.

Hardware compression is enabled in Yosemite Server Backup Basic license.  You might try to confirm that compression is enabled for your drive using HP's tape tools.

Also, and it seems to be the case based on your post, you'll want to make sure you are selecting either software compression or hardware compression, and not both.

I ran a couple tests in the lab to confirm that hardware compression was working properly, and can confirm with a normalized data set that I'm seeing a 1.5:1 compression ratio.

If  you confirm that your LTO-4 drive has compression enabled using HP Tape Tools and continue to see 1.0:1 rate of compression, I would contact support here:

https://www.barracuda.com/support

and a Barracuda Networks support technician can assist you with getting Hardware compression working.

#3 georgio

georgio
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

Oh my so many issues with this software. Is there any way to make a back-up of an NFS resource. Yosemite Barracuda Server backup is unable to see the content of the NFS resource. Just shows it as "UNIX mount point object" and I am unable to browse the resource. I have no issue to access it from anywhere else. It just looks YSB denies the access to NFS resources. 

Then I found some random page from support written ages ago for an older version on how to activate NFS support for YSB. Obviously no longer applies as the described procedure describes steps implying long gone menus from an old version. No update of the documentation for the new versions is available. Any idea what "magic conter-intuitive" procedure one must follow to be able to backup some NFS resource using YSB Basic 10.3.00 ? 

#4 Matt Orme

Matt Orme
  • Moderators
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:11 PM   Best Answer

Open the User Interface.

Make sure the 'Folder' view is enabled

Expand the 'Advanced' tab

Select 'Services'

Drill down on your Server

Highlight 'System Drivers'

in the right hand pane double click 'File System Driver'

Check the box 'Enable remote mounts'

Select Apply and OK.

Close the User Interface

Stop/Restart the service

"Stop" - /usr/local/barracuda/Yosemite Server Backup/ytlinsvc -x

"Start" - /usr/local/barracuda/Yosemite Server Backup/ytlinsvc -s

Open the User Interface 

You should now see your remote mounts.

#5 georgio

georgio
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:55 PM

Funny that if found in the end by going through all the possible menu entries how to do it. I was just starting to post the solution when I saw your reply. 10 point for quick reply, but this should be more clearly documented. I see that is a frequent question asked by YSB users. 

#6 georgio

georgio
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

To give an answer to the original question. I have run also the compression test from hp_ltt (hp tape tools) and the test reported a 2.6:1 compression. Also using the sg tools    sg_logs /dev/nst0 -p 0x32h   I can see "live" that some compression is happening but very low. It seems that somehow collection of doc , xls and image files is not at all a prime candidate for compression.  

#7 Michael West

Michael West
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:25 AM

I use hardware compression and hardware encryption together. I suppose it depends on the order in which they are done. If its compressed then encrypted, then I would expect a decent compression. If its encrypted then compressed, I'd expect it to be lower due to the more random layout of the data.

I use an HP LTO 6 autoloader.