After applying this patch my archiver no longer archives

#2 Jason Vandervoort

Jason Vandervoort
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:11 PM

After applying this patch my archiver no longer archives

Hi Curt,

While there are no known issues with the Security Definition update causing archival to stop, we'd certainly like to resolve the issue with your Message Archiver not processing mail and diagnose if it is indeed related. 

Please reach out to Technical Support at support@barracuda.com, +1 408-342-5300 or open a support case under the Support section of Barracuda Cloud Control.

Jason Vandervoort

Lead Support Engineer

Message Archiver Team

#3 Curt Martell

Curt Martell
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

I am told by support that I have to purchase a support contract before they will help me.  So Barracuda hacks into my appliance and installs software that disables it and then they want me to pay to have it fixed.  That's extortion.

#4 Frank Bulk

Frank Bulk
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:21 PM

I am told by support that I have to purchase a support contract before they will help me.  So Barracuda hacks into my appliance and installs software that disables it and then they want me to pay to have it fixed.  That's extortion.

I'm surprised you even got the patch when you were outside of support -- and you applied it, correct?

#5 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:37 PM

Hello all,

We're sorry to hear of your unfortunate circumstances there Curt, but rest assured we did not purposely disable or break anything in your system because you choose not to renew energize updates. 

For anyone owning a cudatel device, if you contact support we can confirm the SECDEF version for you until we provide this functionality in the web interface, apologies for the inconvenience 

Matthew Willson-Heller
Support Escalation Manager, US

Barracuda Networks Inc.
Phone: +1 408.342.5300 x5346
Fax: +1 408.342.1061
Web: www.barracudanetworks.com

#6 Curt Martell

Curt Martell
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:02 PM

I didn't apply it.  It was pushed out to my device by Barracuda.  I didn't request it, I didn't want it.  They killed my appliance and now they want me to pay for four years of support to fix it.

#7 Frank Bulk

Frank Bulk
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

I didn't apply it.  It was pushed out to my device by Barracuda.  I didn't request it, I didn't want it.  They killed my appliance and now they want me to pay for four years of support to fix it.

Yet you wrote just today that, "After applying this patch my archiver no longer archives" (emphasis added).

#8 Maxwell Lazaroff

Maxwell Lazaroff
  • Moderators
  • 541 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:28 PM

Hello Curt,

I'm going to have a senior support engineer get ahold of you in a short while sometime today once we get this all sorted out. We'll get you back on your feet. Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you, and sorry you had to bounce around the front-line support guys like that.

Thanks,
Maxwell Lazaroff

Barracuda Message Archiver
Technical Delivery Manager

#9 Curt Martell

Curt Martell
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:49 PM

Yet you wrote just today that, "After applying this patch my archiver no longer archives" (emphasis added)

Barracuda applied the patch, not me.  I had no idea it existed and since I don't have a support agreement I didn't expect any updates to get pushed to my device.  It should have at least given me the option to install it.  I would have declined because I don't have support and wouldn't want to take a chance on breaking it.

#10 Curt Martell

Curt Martell
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

Well I got a call from a junior engineer who "fixed" the problem.  My email is archiving again but now I am unable to export or forward anything.  He says this is by design and that I need a support agreement to activate those features, so once again I am being held hostage.  I had a fully functioning appliance yesterday.  

What good is an archiver if you can't access the archives?

#11 andy whisenant

andy whisenant
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

Ouch. Best of luck Curt.  I feel for you. Sounds like your're stuck between a rock & a hard place! 

#12 Dave Farrow

Dave Farrow

PSIRT

• Moderators
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:30 PM

We've looking into Curt's situation and it appears to be related to issues other than the Security Defintion. The product team is reaching out to Curt to ensure the problem is resolved.

#13 Curt Martell

Curt Martell
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:03 AM

I just heard back and they aren't going to do anything.  They hacked into my archiver, installed malicious software and they are now holding me ransom.  If I don't pay them for three years (they recommend four) of support, they won't fix what they broke.

#14 Curt Martell

Curt Martell
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

We've looking into Curt's situation and it appears to be related to issues other than the Security Defintion. The product team is reaching out to Curt to ensure the problem is resolved.

It is entirely related to the Security Definition.  The latest problem is happening because the junior tech had to fix the issue caused by the SecDef and in doing so he created the current issue.  I just need my archiver back in the same state it was in last week.

#15 Maxwell Lazaroff

Maxwell Lazaroff
  • Moderators
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

I moved these comments from the old thread - https://community.ba...-vulnerability/ - to this one.

Thanks,
Maxwell Lazaroff

#16 Curt Martell

Curt Martell
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:34 PM   Best Answer

Finally got everything resolved

#17 Maxwell Lazaroff

Maxwell Lazaroff
  • Moderators
  • 541 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:44 AM

Glad to hear Curt, sorry for any misunderstandings!

Thanks,
Maxwell Lazaroff

#18 Kevin Walsh

Kevin Walsh
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

Finally got everything resolved

Curt, please tell what you did you do to get this resolved. I have the same issue and am getting nothing but the run-around from Barracuda! I had a perfectly functioning archiver then got the email that they updated it because of this vulnerabilty and to reboot - now it doesn't function and they won't fix it until I pay them thousands! Is this just ransomeware!!!

#19 Maxwell Lazaroff

Maxwell Lazaroff
  • Moderators
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

Mr. Walsh,

Send me your contact info to mlazaroff@barracuda.com and I will get a case opened up and your machine repaired. The gist is that out-of-contract machines still receive critical security updates that should not affect the machine's normal functionality. These updates should not change the machine, and they certainly should not be locking you out of anything. There was no intention to make this "ransomeware", and we are not accessing your machine, it is just pulling down automatic security updates. We take customer privacy very seriously.

The issue is that our front-line support has training to never talk to people without contracts. In this case, we completely understand that this should not have happened, so we will help you out without one, but sometimes the low-level guys don't know that (This issue seems to have hit just the two of you). So just go ahead and send your info to me, and being a manager, I can get this set up and fixed for you.

Sorry for the run-around on this! We can totally make it right.

Thank you,

Maxwell Lazaroff