• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Don Fuss

Don Fuss
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm having a little problem and I'm hoping for some advice. I have a 370a with about 20 users, with part of that being a small call center. We've had the system in place for 3 years, and up until the 4th quarter of 2014 audio quality has been perfect.

Within the past few months, we've noticed that audio in and out drops entirely for very brief periods, lasting from half a second to two seconds. Audio does not go in or out during those drops.

I upgraded our Sonicwall NSA 240 that was hitting EOL with an NSA 2600 back in September. Because the platforms are very similar, I was able to export the settings from the 240 to the 2600 without issue, and everything has been working fine. I don't know if the issues started at that point and nobody noticed, or if they came later, but I wanted to include that for completeness.

At least 5 times per 24 hours, the system reports the following via email. I contacted support and was informed that they have turned it off for other customers who have that happen and were not concerned. Could this be related to the audio issues?

2015-02-05 16:00:22 -0500 err System Test (Ping Default Gateway (192.168.0.1)): Failed

Firewall logs show no activity at around the times that the pings fail. CudaTel support has been very helpful, but determined that the unit itself was not at fault and was likely our provider or network. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 TekMason

TekMason
  • Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

Recently I had a problem with one of the call legs intermittently dropping off and going silent for 1 to 10 seconds.  I thought it was a network issue so I spent some time validating port configs and checking for high error counts.  I found no issues with my networks.

I called Cudatel support for some guidance and to have them look for any problems from the Cudatel side.  I'm very glad I did.  Within minutes the engineer found that the 470 was throwing lots of hard drive errors and failure was imminent.  I received a new 470 the next day, replaced it an all is well.

The take-away from that story is; before you spend a lot of time looking into problems with your network call Cudatel Support and ask them to tunnel in to check the health of your unit.

That said, if pings from your Cudatel to its default gateway are intermittently being dropped there is definitely a problem and it is likely a network issue somewhere in the communications path Phone<->Cudatel<->SIP Provider.  The more information you can gather on the symptoms the easier it will be to troubleshoot and isolate. i.e. Does this ever happen with internal extension to extension calls?

Some things to try after contacting Cudatel support:

-run a tool like PingPlotter Pro or FreePing for at least a few hours sending ping packets to your Cudatel and a few phones every second.  You should rarely see any dropped packets (<1%) .

-check the port statistics on your switches/routers for high error rates.

-some IP handsets diagnostics and call quality logging/monitoring features that can give you lots of information on how well your network is performing.  I think some Polycom and Yealink sets have this functionality.

-if you have Hardcore Network Fu, setup a softphone on your PC, run WireShark on it while talking on it and then analyze away.

#3 Nathan Timperley

Nathan Timperley
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:24 PM

TekMason gives good advice.  If you're familiar with doing so, and can take packet captures at your SonicWall, you could do a capture on each side of the unit and check each capture at the time you have issues to see if the firewall is not passing the traffic.  

If you would to call in to support we'd be happy to check the health of your system as well.  We can take a look at example calls to figure out if we're not receiving RTP audio during a stretch of the call, but if the trouble is upstream from the phone system, our perspective is limited so captures at the firewall can be more informative at times.  

#4 Deidre Carter

Deidre Carter
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:37 AM

I think you should contact directly you service provider as I had similar problem and was not able to solve it on my own. As I was using http://voicearray.com/, they helped me out with my issues.

#5 Mike Wiltse

Mike Wiltse
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

FYI I have had a ticket outstanding with this issue for roughly 1 month. Support says it is in engineers hands now.

"This is still being actively worked on by Engineering.  It is a high profile bug affecting many users of this firmware.  "

Our main problem is conference calls, but it is just getting worse not better. My CEO is now asking me about replacing it with a different system, because every tuesday for the last month his conference call is unusable. The only sign anything is wrong, is the 100% CPU load.

#6 TekMason

TekMason
  • Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:18 AM

FYI I have had a ticket outstanding with this issue for roughly 1 month. Support says it is in engineers hands now.

"This is still being actively worked on by Engineering.  It is a high profile bug affecting many users of this firmware.  "

Our main problem is conference calls, but it is just getting worse not better. My CEO is now asking me about replacing it with a different system, because every tuesday for the last month his conference call is unusable. The only sign anything is wrong, is the 100% CPU load.

Give support another call and tell them this is a high priority.  I've always had good experiences with Cudatel support and I am certain that they will be able to help you.

If you clearly identify your issue in a new topic you may get some help or suggestions for work arounds from your fellow Forum members.

TekMason

#7 Nathan Timperley

Nathan Timperley
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:56 AM

Mike,

I've requested that the engineering team reach out to you today to give you an update on your case.  

#8 Nathan Timperley

Nathan Timperley
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:48 PM

Mike,

An engineer should be contacting you shortly, if they have not already done so.  Please send me a private message or email me if no one makes contact with you today.  

#9 Don Fuss

Don Fuss
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:36 AM

All,

Thank you for the tips. I implemented some of them and even did some WireSharking per TekMason's advice and came to the conclusion that it was an issue with the Sonicwall. Ultimately, I ended up setting up a new dedicated circuit with our provider and routing it through the WAN port on the CudaTel. That immediately solved the issue and have had no problems in the last two weeks.