Outbound Traffic Through WAN2 Stops if WAN1 Link Goes Down

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jack Costa

Jack Costa
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:25 PM

I have a Barracuda 330 appliance in firewall disabled mode and find that, with two unique ISP connections in place (WAN1 and WAN2), if I simulate a loss of WAN1 link (by way of unplugging the cable on WAN1 or shutting down WAN1's upstream switch interface), the link balancer stops forwarding all outbound traffic even though WAN2 is still connected to ISP2.

While both WAN links are up, I can force successful switching of outbound traffic between WAN interfaces by inducing DNS test failures on them. No issues bouncing between both my ISPs.

The fact that a loss the physical connection to WAN1 interface stops all outbound traffic on both WAN interfaces is concerning as it goes against the biggest reason for getting the unit in the first place.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Rick Cone

Rick Cone
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, I've seen that.  It is a very momentary thing.  What I was told by support is that the appliance has to delete/add all the routes concerning the new available WAN(s).  Each time there is a change in WAN availability , all the routes have to be deleted and added.  It's too bad the unit wouldn't be smart enough to not change the routes going to the currently good WAN's.  That would be nice...