Photo

No record in system log

syslog

Best Answer Vince Thompson, 04 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

I rarely have an issue with the Barracuda so I've not had a reason to get to know the workings of the appliance. What I ended up doing is restarting and then reloading. That appears to have cleared the problem! Thank you to Barry and Matthew for responding to my questions.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vince Thompson

Vince Thompson
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:46 PM

I have an odd issue hopefully some light can be shown on. I tried searching the forum and I didn't come up with results.

I have a Barracuda 400. There is one domain trying to send mail to my clients but there is no record of communication that the domain is attempting to send an email. All was fine then one day it just stopped working. I do not appear to have trouble receiving email from other domains, but under these circumstances I can't say that with authority.

The message log doesn't list the domain nor IP as blocked, same as the syslog. I have added the domain and current IP to the whitelist to no effect. I did not make any changes to any settings to the firewall. We have been using the appliance since 2008 without incidence. 

I appreciate any insight that can be provided.

#2 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi Vince,

If searching by the IP doesn't yield results then we would recommend you get in touch with the sending domain to see what occurs when they send to you.  Have them perform a manual smtp test etc 

Matthew Willson-Heller
Support Escalation Manager, US

Barracuda Networks Inc.
Phone: +1 408.342.5300 x5346
Fax: +1 408.342.1061
Web: www.barracudanetworks.com

#3 Vince Thompson

Vince Thompson
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:03 PM

Already done that. They are using Exchange and receive no response from the Barracuda. So after 24 hours their system auto generates a response to the sender. They can send directly to my mail server on the other side of the Barracuda so I don't believe my provider is interfering.

#4 Barry van Hattum

Barry van Hattum
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNL

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:05 AM

Hi Vince,

Do you see the traffic reaching and getting through your firewall? If you don't, the traffic is not even reaching your network.

Do you see the entries in the Barracuda Message Log? If so, there should be an action that was taken and a reason.

If it does appear in the firewall logs, but not in the Barracuda Message Log, maybe you can try a tcpdump on the Barracuda (Advanced -> Troubleshooting) and see what happens. You also have the option of looking at the Mail Syslog messages (Advanced -> Troubleshooting) to see what happens to the mails.

#5 Vince Thompson

Vince Thompson
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 10:25 AM   Best Answer

I rarely have an issue with the Barracuda so I've not had a reason to get to know the workings of the appliance. What I ended up doing is restarting and then reloading. That appears to have cleared the problem! Thank you to Barry and Matthew for responding to my questions.