Photo

What happens to the traffic if the 310 is powered off/fails?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_Brogan

Steve_Brogan
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:09 AM

I read this on the FAQs and wondered about the 310 model and what will happen if it fails. What will happen to all traffic going to the internet?The FAQ was about the 410 having a "By-Pass" mode.Q: Is it a layer 2 or layer 3 device? e.g. is the Spyware firewall set up as a gateway with its own gateway IP or is it transparently placed between the normal gateway (firewall) and the switches?A: OSI Layer 2, box will switch to Hardware By-Pass when the power is OFF, which means traffic will continue to go thru, this option is only available on models 410 and up. It operates as a transparent ethernet bridge on the link layer.

#2 ntsang

ntsang
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:24 PM

Hi Steve, only the 410s and higher offer the "hard-bypass". These models are made to "fail-open", so if the box fails it will automatically set itself to the "hard-bypass" mode and pass traffic freely. The common use-case is if you had a power outage.For the 210s and 310s, if the box fails you will most likely have to physically access the machine to cycle power. Until the machine is running again traffic through the box will be stopped.

#3 DesertStormVet

DesertStormVet
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:21 AM

FYI, I have complained about this vociferously on a number of occasions. To make fail-open a selling point on an in-line device is horrible. :evil: Any inline device should give the admin the option of maiking it fail-open or fail-close.The 310 box fits my needs on the basis of traffic, etc. The 410 would be overkill for my environment . However, if I want fail-open capability, I would have to pay almost twice as much for the 410. I really can't justify that expense for a single feature. :?