Optimizing your firewall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 welch56

welch56
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:21 AM

I am going through the manual and was wondering about page 15. It states "To minimize the load on your Barracuda Spyware Firewall, keep all internal traffic from coming through the system, unless the traffic is a request to the Internet through port 80. For all other requests, route the traffic around the system." Since the 210 is directly connected to my firewall how do I route traffice around it?

#2 fleming

fleming
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:16 PM

Couple ways to help:- If you have a layer 3 switch that is your default GW on all the hosts, all your network traffic behind the switch should be contained inside. For an internet request, the switch knows to send it through to the outside which will then be picked up and proxied by the Barracuda.- If you don't have a layer3 switch and your default GW is the same for the clients and barracuda, it's best to exempt the IP's for the internal servers using the Block/Accept > Exempt IPS > Exempt Server IP feature. That way, all HTTP traffic going directly to those servers will not be proxied by the barracuda.

#3 mrebelez

mrebelez
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:45 PM

I would like to know another way to do it, I have my Cuda 310 working behind a PIX and then my intervlan router and only has 2 interfaces, inside go to my switch L2 and outside to PIX.How can I change traffic different to port 80 in order to take advantage of 100mb and not only 5mb?Regards. !Penas.

#4 ntsang

ntsang
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:42 AM

Hi Penas, if we can get in touch with you that will work best to figure out how to best setup the Spyware Firewall in your configuration. Please send me an email with your contact information and we'll give you a call. Thanks.