Barracuda Link Balancer network connectivity issue
Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:52 PM
Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:16 AM
On further investigation, under some situations this update can cause a partial "roll-back", reverting the system to an older state. Apart from loosing connectivity, this could also manifest in the management UI password being reverted to an earlier state or some recent configuration changes being "lost".
We recommend reviewing your configuration and applying a recent configuration backup if some recent changes seem to be missing. If there are issues accessing the unit, kindly contact the support team as noted above.
Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:55 AM
We have identified the root cause analysis. Please find it below:
On October 10th morning at 1:30 am EDT, we provided an application definition update version 1.0.139 as part of the automatic update process.
Under some circumstances, an inadvertent resource naming conflict in the temporary file system leads this update to revert systems to an earlier configuration state. This happens before the current configuration can be backed up. The firmware version remains intact. The issues only affects systems on firmware version 2.4 or newer. Also, not all systems on these firmware are affected.
The symptoms could involve the following, in increasing level of severity:
- Recent configuration changes being lost
- Administrative password “reset”, preventing successful login into the UI
- IP addresses of the WAN and LAN interfaces being reset, resulting in networking issues
- Losing WAN connectivity or experiencing a network down state if the old IP addressing schemes are incompatible with the current network settings or topology
Solution and Workaround
Depending on the severity, customers may or may not be able to access the UI and/or open the support tunnel.
- If the UI remains accessible, customers should log in and check if the configuration has reverted to an earlier state
- If there is evidence of configuration changes and if the customers have a recent copy of an externally saved configuration backup, that should be applied. If not, then the configuration needs to be corrected manually.
- If the UI is available, but login fails, customers should contact customer support who will help open a support tunnel and reset the password.
- If the UI is not available either from the LAN or WAN interfaces, customer support will help resolving the connectivity issues
Mitigating Future Occurrence
We have implemented additional quality checks and tests in our definition release process to ensure that similar issues are detected early in the definition testing cycle.