tag tagging tags spam phishing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Hammett

Jeff Hammett
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:14 PM

Is it possible with the Barracuda Spam and Virus Firewall v400 to tag all external email? 

We're currently using the default tag [Bulk] for tagged suspicious email. 

We'd like to be able to tag all email that comes in from the internet (ie not internal) with a tag like [External]

I see that I can change the wording of the tag on the Basic->Spam Checking tab, but is there an option to tag all messages?

And is it possible to tag all messages with [External] and also tag messages we have specified as suspicious  (matching certain spam criteria) with [Bulk]?

Jeff

#2 mheller

mheller

Nobody

• Moderators
  • 1,299 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

HI Jeff,

This isn't available at this time, tho you could maybe setup a Content filter to tag and put the IP of the device (say your router) that hands off the email to the spam firewall maybe? 

Matthew Willson-Heller
Support Escalation Manager, US

Barracuda Networks Inc.
Phone: +1 408.342.5300 x5346
Fax: +1 408.342.1061
Web: www.barracudanetworks.com

#3 Jaybone

Jaybone
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

Something along these lines may doable at the mail server.  Exchange 2010, for example, can do this with a Transport Rule.

#4 John Widera

John Widera
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 12:26 PM

We've been asking about this for a long time,  I don't think it will ever happen at least for the appliances.  Barracuda is focusing its resources on its cloud solutions, by their own admission to me.  The president of our college just emailed me TODAY asking why we don't have this - her colleagues at other schools do.  I've had to explain, it's a shortfall of the vAppliances we purchased.  In total we've been Barracuda customers for about 14 years I think.

1) Lack of ability to tag/label all inbound mail as [EXTERNAL] or similar

2) inability to DKIM sign outbound mail

3) inability to do DMARC inspection (w/o CPL)

These 3 missing features mean the spam gateway appliances can't truly be considered enterprise-grade.  They're still decent units, but not complete solutions.  And NO, we don't want to send our mail to the cloud.  If we're going to do that, our BoD will want all mail services moved to Google or similar.

#5 Forrest Mook

Forrest Mook
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:51 PM

I can't believe the option hasn't been added to tag all external email with a tag just like the current [BULK] tag for items with a high enough score to be possible spam.  The lack of development/improvement in the Barracuda software has me considering abandoning it altogether and looking at a different company for spam filtering.

#6 Kevin Goforth

Kevin Goforth
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:16 AM

I set our Tag level under spam checking to zero and changed the [BULK] to [External Email]. The side effects I have seen are all external email is low priority now and any email that is whitelisted isn't tagged.

I wish there was a better way to tag all external email.

#7 Andrew Lin

Andrew Lin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:36 PM

Called Barracuda support and see if there is a way not to change the email priority.  Support said it is the mail server changed the priority, not Barracuda.  Doesn't make sense to me.

#8 Andrew Lin

Andrew Lin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

Barracuda 2nd level support was able to made a variable change in the database of the ESG, so tagged messages will not trigger mailserver to change priority.