Photo

Will YSB work with CentOS without a GUI?

YSB Linux

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:21 PM

We now have a Linux server running Aruba Airwave 8.x it uses CentOS 6.3+ as the base OS.  To my knowledge it is minimal install no Linux GUI.  Can the Linux version of YSB be installed without issue from command line?  If not we will continue to use clonezilla to capture an image periodically.

#2 Jim Peters

Jim Peters
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:06 PM

Simple answer is yes. Did that here for years.   

Login as root or use sudo.  

Change to the top of tree where you unzipped it.

Type ./install to run the install.

This can be done from an SSH session.  

If you don't have the support for X11 Windows installed or your desktop (Windows PC) doesn't have an X11 Server, Yosemite runs in the terminal (xterm) session using the line-drawing characters to present an interface reminiscent of early 1990's GUI.  (think Doggie Howser writing in his diary).

In the same vein, I wouldn't recommend using such a bare bones Linux as your Master Server.   Not a criticism of YSB on Linux, but the limited installation and the YSB's GUI needs at least basic X11 support, a fixed width font and an X Server to do the usual graphics display, that becomes an unnecessary barrier in the worst-case scenario where a) you need to use the GUI on the master server because B) the network is down and c)  YSB must rebuild your database.  

Jim.

#3 Joe

Joe
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

My master is a server 2012 install.   I was just trying to decide on adding the Linux server to the YSB domain.

#4 Kyle Frazer

Kyle Frazer
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

Hello Joe,

Jim is spot-on. You can follow our normal installation instructions for Linux at https://techlib.barr...om/BYSB/Install. If you're running in a context with no GUI, the installer will fall back to the command-line interface.

There is also a command-line management interface, but it's been deprecated. You'll definitely want to use another machine with a window manager as your master server. There will be no problem running YSB as a client on your Linux server, since the backup process is driven by the master server, and you'll never need to use the GUI locally on that machine.

Kyle

#5 Joe

Joe
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

great to hear thanks.