Photo

Removing data from my appliance and the cloud.

Delete Data Remove Data Data Retention

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Jones

Fred Jones
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

I have a question regarding my ability to remove data from the Barracuda Backup 390.  Recently, we changed a few things within our network and most importantly, we replaced our file server.  Before doing so, our total raw data storage on the 390 was just under 1TB.  We deleted the old file server from the backup schedule and then added the new file server to the backup sources.  Well, as I kind of expected, our box ran out of space overnight.  This happen because the 390 still retained our original file server information while it did a full backup of the new one (which is actually the exact same information).  The BB390 had no way to know it was the same information.  And therein lies my real question.  I’ve archived the data from the old file server.  I do not want nor need Barracuda to store any information from the old file server.  However, I can find no method for removing that data from my appliance or the cloud.  I called support and they helped me purge some older data in order to get backups flowing again and it worked.  However, my box is still on the verge of running out of space when it shouldn’t be.  I don’t think adjusting a retention policy is the right way to go guys.  Now that the retention policy has been shortened, we’ve possibly removed information from other data sources unnecessarily.  I really believe Barracuda needs to offer a method for end user to remove selected data completely without having to modify any retention policies.  It would greatly simplify things…..in my opinion. 

Even though we’ve hit this little hiccup, I still love the product!  It’s worked really well for us and your customer service is always very helpful.                 

#2 opjose

opjose
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:26 PM

Did you remove the old server as a Data Source ?

It can take a few days before the data from the old server is locally removed.

#3 Fred Jones

Fred Jones
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

Yep...removed the Data Source weeks ago.  However, the console says we are sitting at 80% capacity when we were at 50% prior to the change.  Adjusting the retention policy did help but I still feel it was not the right answer.  I occasionally get low disk space emails during the backup process and we should not be for our actual volume size.  The customer service folks can say what they like but, I still feel it did not remove the data it should have.  I've been reading online about the next version of the firmware adding more controls which will allow the user to completely removing data instantly.  Maybe that will take care of situations like these.  Now...in a few weeks, I'm going to be doing some drastic changes to our network.  We are upgrading all our servers and virtualizing everything we can.  That means all of my data sources will change.  I have a bad feeling I'll be wiping the box completely and starting over from that point.  This same scenario will most likely occur again.  Does anyone know if there is a "Best practices" that one should follow for completely changing all the data sources?              

#4 Shawn Lubahn

Shawn Lubahn
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:18 PM

Hi Fred,

Opjose is correct in that removing the entire data source will remove all of its associated data. There is a built-in 24 hour grace period before the appliance begins purging the data. After that time period expires, it may take a couple of days to fully remove everything, depending upon how many files and how much data there is. This is the preferred method and I would not recommend using the wipe function unless you were returning the box to us. In our 6.2 firmware, one of the new features is On-Demand Purging, which will allow customers to manually delete data that they no longer want stored on the appliance.

Thanks,

Shawn

#5 andy whisenant

andy whisenant
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:52 PM

When is 6.2 going to be ready for general release for the 390's?  I know its gen release available for the 490s.

#6 Shawn Lubahn

Shawn Lubahn
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

Hi Andy,

Release 6.2 is 100% EA right now. We expect it to be 100% GA in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Shawn

#7 andy whisenant

andy whisenant
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

Hi Shawn,

Any news on 6.2 Being released soon for GA?

Thanks,

Andy

#8 Shawn Lubahn

Shawn Lubahn
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:56 AM

Hi Andy,

6.2 is currently 75% GA. I apologize for the delay from my previous comment. We're targeting the end of April for 100% GA. Is there a specific feature or bug fix that you are waiting for?

Thanks,

Shawn

#9 Shawn Lubahn

Shawn Lubahn
  • Barracuda Team Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:58 AM

Sorry Andy, just realized we're in a thread talking about purging data. 

#10 andy whisenant

andy whisenant
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the Response Shawn. Will keep my eye out towards the end of the month.

-Andy